Recycled Rubber mulch mats

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgbtechie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What do you think about using recycled rubber mulch mats around trees. They let water through, but not weeds and growth instead of using the bark. My problem is the person that sits on our mower has mowed over my bushes, and small items and has sent bark flying towards the house. As our yard is not "THAT" big, and we are having a tree person plant this large Linden, I really don't want any problems with anything hurting it. Weedwacking, mowing etc. I saw these mats that you can mow over parts of it with no flying debris. As we are removing all the grass around the tree to the drip line, I thought these mats just might work.

Second-does anyone have any thoughts of using treegaiters on the newly planted trees? We have been experiencing quite a drought in the northeast(I am on Long Island in NY) and currently we have brown grass. I know we forget to water on a regular basis and after spending so much on this tree, and others that are coming in, I dont want to lose them to underwatering. Please help, as the tree is being planted today-at least the Linden is. Thanks :)

downside of the mats is that mulch is not replenishing the soil. still can be a good thing. gaters can be a good thing, but will not reach the dripline, where the moisture is needed more.

See the New Tree Planting link in the site below. The soil needs to be prepared beyond the hole for that linden.

sounds like you need to get rid of your lawn cutter, or get rid of your lawn.

There were 3 different gators I found
http://www.shop.com/op/~Tree_Gator-prod-12294782-18447324?sourceid=1

http://www.treegatordirect.com/

www.oozetube.com

none of them will reach the drip line? The tree is 2-3" diameter and about 8' high. The people planting it are professionals, and my husband has the information about how to plant to make sure they are doing it correctly, especially since it is being planted between 2 trees, one cut down 30 years ago due to massive carpenter ant damage, and the other due to invasiveness. In fact, I think you were the one that helped me decide where to put it on my thread "the perfect tree". What would you suggest, although the tree is not tiny, we have killed many other ones. With the lack of rain at this time, I am worried about the watering. We bought a circular drip hose attachment, but it would not fit this size tree. Also, we get hard freezes here-how do you water the tree when the ground is so hard it runs off?

As for the mower, well, he is my husband. Tries hard, but I dont have much left that he has not gotten to, one way or another. We are thinking of getting a composter and feeding the trees and shrubs compost tea-would that be good enough to take the place of the mulch?

Also I ordered a tree specific help kit that contains Mycorrhizal Fungi, Biostimulant, fertilizer and drill from http://www.treehelp.com/shopping/soil-kits.asp
our soil is hard-which is why I want the composter. Strange, hard on the suface for many feet, then sandy-well, I am on an island :) Anyway, I got off my topic, do these tree kits really help? I am planting several trees, the linden is the only one being done professionally. The others are small, meant more for screening than height. We also found out that the county might start their street tree planting next year, so I am going to use those tree lilacs as a screen against the hot sun in the summer. The foliage should just be high enough and the distance long enough to shade under the front awning. I believe you might have given me the suggestion to use the japanese tree lilac. I appreciate your help, as we keep getting conflicting answers from people who should know, do not tell us they dont and are guessing. You people who have been in the business a long time, been there and done that, have much more informed opinions that those I have received in the past. Thanks again

Why don't you run a soaker hose around the tree that is attached to a regular hose attached to a battery operated hosebib timer?It would go like this..Hosebib,backflow preventer or ABV valve(screws onto where you attach the hose)then, Timer then regular hose out to your tree area,then a long soaker hose around the tree.
Orbit makes a reasonably priced little batt op timer that will water for you at intervals of every 2 hours,4hours ect-everyday,every otherday,every two days and up to once a week.For 5min,10min,30min up to 120min at a time.
It turns the water on and off again automaticly.Try this and you watering problems will be over,unless your husband runs over the hose with the mower.With a soaker hose..you can hook them together for as long as a run as you wish and move them around depending on trhe tree's water needs at the time.And adjust the timer to the watering needs of the tree.

Do you need to keep this up during the winter? We freeze up here and need to take in our hoses and stuff, otherwise we have to buy all new for next year :) What happens if you have a dry winter? Do we use buckets? Not being funny, just that I really never planted a tree at this time of year, and really want it to survive.

Latest posts

Back