Red Maple leaves become variegated

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robb

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I planed this Red Maple 12 years ago. I'm concerned it might be getting too much water because it sits at the bottom of a hillside where the soil actually gets soggy each spring. It starts the year out looking good with new shoots popping out all over, but then as the season progresses about 2/3s of the leaves become variegated with some turning black on the edges with black spots and curling. I've had the problem for many years, possibly ever since it's been planted. Also, when it was still a sapling a buck got to it and scraped a big patch of bark off the trunk... which has healed nicely but shows signs of possibly rot beginning to grow in the wound. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 006.JPG [/ATTACH] 005.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG

Leaf color is most likely due to manganese, or possibly magnesium, shortage. Rather difficult to correct via fertilization in alkaline and limey soils. Better strategy is the bed out it's root system if it's surrounded by turf.

The trunk wound is showing some fungal fruiting bodies and I would recommend having a PHC arborist take a look. This could also indicate some vascular dysfunction that could also imped nutrient and water uptake.

He got it. Not much else to add.

You could do soil and tissue samples...but I'll bet a nickel envel

(even offer free delivery :) ...but that doesn't matter because I'm not losing the bet) the pH is over 7 and the tissue sample shows low manganese.

Latest posts

Back