Red Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ezduzit

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Red Maple tree just transplanted from the nursery about 7 weeks ago that is now starting to take off. There is about 6 inches of new growth so far and many 1-3 inch sprouts are coming out of the main branches (very many!). Do I need to remove these sprouts that will get trimmed eventually anyway?

You can leave these "temporary" shoots for now. Has the tree been recently pruned, fresh cuts on the stem? Sometimes they tend to watersprout near recent cuts.

If not they there may be some other stress pushing new growth. I'd leave it alone for now, keep your tree properly watered, and mulched. Don't fertilize and just keep an eye on things.

It will take a couple of years for the tree to get back into balance both in the leaves and the roots.

Good luck.

I have fertilized some with a plant food. I won't do that anymore. I have heard that mulch tends to pull the nitrogen away from the plant you are trying to help. Is that true?

Only if the mulch is in a "raw" state, like fresh wood chips. Most bagged mulch has been composted for a short period.

Trees have evolved to a low nitrogen situation, as most forests don't have high nitrogen levels anyway.

Do you know of a useful reference for tree care (book maybe), planting, transplanting, growing, etc. and maybe one for tree identification?

Latest posts

Back