Red Oak that didnt make it to the OWB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I missed the question on the finish, I've been debating on what I want to do with that. I'll probably use a water based urathane on the stairs and the floor but I've seen some real nice finishes with some of the oils also. More reserch is in order before I get to that point, one things for sure with hard woods from floor to ceiling I'll get plenty of practice to get it right.

It sure is satisfying to see this coming together for the past 2 years its just been a vision in my head and a few basic plans I drew out to give to the inspector, to tell the truth the original plan was drawn on a napkin at 3am while I was at work :cheers: There were plenty of times when I would find myself standing over a hole in the ground wondering if I had gotten in over my head, now that its this far I know I made the right choice to do all of this myself (and with plenty of help from my family and neihbors)

Since we moved down here when I was 8 back in 93 I have wanted to build a place here, I had to wait 18 years but now its finally coming together. To be able to use so much lumber from the site just means that much more to me.

Wow, getting to 6-8% is fantastic!
I have used some air dry that sat for 2.5 yrs in a barn but once installed it still moved, I never checked it but bet it was around 9-12%.
Thanks for the tip on the planer, the 718 looks to be about perfect for me.

and keep them photos coming when you get further along.:clap:

some nice pics. did u mill the floor or have it done. I installed floors for three year and want to mill my own but dont know if will be cost effective or just for the self satisfaction.

I ran the floor though the planner, I still need to set it up to rip everything to the widths I want. Once thats done then I'll be ready to lay it down once the insulation is finished up. I'm sure its going to move on me a little being that I plan on using planks 18-22" wide for the foor. My original plan was to toung and groove the planks but after looking at some pictures and giving it some thought I am going to butt them together and face nail it. I found a sorce online where I can buy antique style square cut nails, I think face nailed with square nails will add to the rustic feeling that i'm going for in the house.

Back