Red Shumard Oak Leaves w/ Swollen Veins

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gardengirl

Reaction score
I have a 15 year old Red Shumard Oak tree that has leaves that to the best of my description have veins that look swollen. You can still see the original vein, but along each side is a ridge which is at least the width of the vein itself. I have been unable to find any information about what it is, whether it's harmful, so I know if I need to treat it. I have shown a leaf to a local nursery (not a chain) and they were clueless. I would appreciate any helpful information. Thanks!

I looked up athracnose and the pics of it don't look anything like my leaves. I'm not sure how to post a pic, but I'll check into it and try. It probably won't be today. Thanks for responding.

Yes, that's EXACTLY what the leaves look like. Thank you for your response. It doesn't sound like there's a whole lot we can do about it tho', does it? My husband is thrilled to at least have it identified. Thanks again.

Nope, there is not too much that you can do. On the good side, this particular gall seldom causes significant damage and most of the time it is really not that obvious.

Back