redirects and friction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basnighttrees

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
What are some redirect options that is still like climbing on a pulley? The other day I took a choker with two micros on it, the TIP was a 4 inch pulley. The friction felt like I was in a tight crouch. What setup can I use for the redirect that will still feel like a pulley?

What are some redirect options that is still like climbing on a pulley? The other day I took a choker with two micros on it, the TIP was a 4 inch pulley. The friction felt like I was in a tight crouch. What setup can I use for the redirect that will still feel like a pulley?

DdRT I assume.

Where the two micros binding at angles? A double sheave micro will keep the lines from rubbing against each other, maybe withe a swivel in the rig also.

Not sure if there was any binding. The pulleys were next to each other. I will have to set it up again to troubleshoot it. I would think if the rope is not rubbing on its self there will not be much more friction with the redirect. And yes it is DbRT. If I use the double sheave micro will it still feel like I am climbing on a pulley or a crouch?

Not sure if there was any binding. The pulleys were next to each other. I will have to set it up again to troubleshoot it. I would think if the rope is not rubbing on its self there will not be much more friction with the redirect. And yes it is DbRT. If I use the double sheave micro will it still feel like I am climbing on a pulley or a crouch?

I think you will find that the rope is rubbing on the cheek plates of the pulleys since they are so small and can twist (and one rope going out and the other going in). The double sheave pulley should take care of some of that. I was going to try a double sheave micro with a swivel to keep them form binding even more.

There will be added friction but it should be less than a crotch.

Cool, thanks. Thats is good enough for me to justify buying something. I will add a micro block pulley to my next order and see what happens.

Cool, thanks. Thats is good enough for me to justify buying something. I will add a micro block pulley to my next order and see what happens.

I hope I helped. I have been pondering the redirect question myself. That is my next thing to try out (double micro pulley).

I like setting a sling with two carabiners in a quickdraw fashion.

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5lLW9tYy5jb20vY2F0YWxvZy9uZXdfaW1hZ2VzL21lZGl1bS80NzIxLmpwZw==

Place the sling over a branch so the gates are opposing, then load one leg in each carabiner. you may have a bit more friction on a straight run of the rope, but there is none of the side loading cheekplate wear mentioned above.

If you play it right, you can often make this setup retrievable.

One problem with being a gearnut is that we often try to over rig there situation when figuring it out. Try to start as simple as possible, then add to it.

Place the sling over a branch so the gates are opposing, then load one leg in each carabiner. you may have a bit more friction on a straight run of the rope, but there is none of the side loading cheekplate wear mentioned above.

One problem with being a gearnut is that we often try to over rig there situation when figuring it out. Try to start as simple as possible, then add to it.

I like that JPS. I like it alot.

Yep... Sometimes when I hear hoof beats I think zebra right off the bat.

With the retrieval setup, are you suggesting using a screw link on one end of the redirect instead of a 'biner?

I use a screw link on the end of my rope to retrieve my friction saver, I would switch to a ball to retrieve so that there is no possible way it would fit through the small end of the redirect.

BTW, I switched to a screw link for retrieval after a mini-biner locked on to the big ring of the friction saver and I had to install another climbing line and go back up to get it out.....Embarassing.

Just having a heavier carabiner the "back" leg of the line will help.

I know a couple of guys who will climb will leave one on that leg of the line as they climb through big trees.

The biggest learning-curve problem is loosing your line. You can hook the front leg, over the redirect, and pull it down to you,then let it fall out of the redi and reconnect. The redi slides down your back leg.

As you get the hang of it, you can lust pull the rope and have to fall to you.

I picked it up at the ISA show in '02, whatzizanme the German with dred's used it in the work-climb.

Just having a heavier carabiner the "back" leg of the line will help.

I know a couple of guys who will climb will leave one on that leg of the line as they climb through big trees.

The biggest learning-curve problem is loosing your line. You can hook the front leg, over the redirect, and pull it down to you,then let it fall out of the redi and reconnect. The redi slides down your back leg.

As you get the hang of it, you can lust pull the rope and have to fall to you.

I picked it up at the ISA show in '02, whatzizanme the German with dred's used it in the work-climb.

JPS, can you explain this to me again? Are you saying you can loose your line without being physically at the redirect?

By "back" leg, you are referring to the line that teminates at your harness not the hitch leg....right?

This post been a while back, but can you(or any other members here) explain the steps to retrieve this system?

Easiest way to avoid friction variation at your hitch? Rope wrench. SRT. get on it.

Latest posts

Back