Reducing Weight and Moving a stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDRock

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I don't have much experience with stoves, but finally replacing my Dragon, that was in house when I bought it.

I am getting a 3 year old Lopi Republic $450 pretty good price I think ,anyway

First question , is the stated weight of 430lbs include fire brick ,and baffle brick.?
Next , Do I need to remove baffle brick while moving ,will it get damaged if I don't ?

I'm thinkin , remove door , fire brick, legs ,baffle brick, and I think, I have to remove air tubes to get baffle brick out , yes/no ??

I have a trailer with ramp and a good dolly, straps etc.
Any other tips ideas for moving ,transporting, safely with out damage ??
Thanks In Advance

If you have I dolly to use why take anything off? I would leave it whole. The dolly doesn't know the difference and you can roll it right up your ramp.

I wonder if it would make a difference moving it on a trailer if you could tip it a little and set it down over an old big tire/ slide it under whatever, in the middle, sort of like a shock absorber. (tied down of course)

The last thing I would do is start taking the thing apart to move, things just have a tendency to get broken that way. In the case of firebrick, as they age they often get crumbly around the edges, and next thing you know you gotta go buy some more.

If you got a dolly, it wont make much difference anyway. Get yourself two twelve packs, and give a buddy a call. Between the two of you, suck the first one down while getting it in the house and set up, then give him the second one for helping you out. Between the two of you it should not be a problem to wrestle 400lbs into the house unless you live in a tree house. In that case, call two buddies to give you hand.

I have helped move several stoves, twice for myself, and several times for a friend, and its really not that big of a deal. Just call the biggest friend you got first, and work your way down the list to the smallest guy!

I'd pull the bricks, pack em carefully so they don't rattle around while hauling. If they fall over in the stove while bouncing down the road, they're liable to break. Besides, you get to inspect behind/under them that way before you buy, and you'll also have an idea if the bricks are in poor shape and should be replaced anyway.

A dolly and a BIG friend got my new 500# stove into my basement (down stairs) last winter. My old stove is still down there though, gonna take a couple extra friends to go back up the stairs with it.

If you have any stairs to go up or down, do yourself a favor, rent a battery powered stair climbing dolly, they are worth their weight in gold for moving stoves and the like, really slick! Most stove dealers have one that they use to move stoves. Maybe it would be just as cheap/easy to hire the local stove dealer to come and move it in/out for you. You wouldn't need to tear anything apart then either.

when I installed my insert ~500 lbs I only took the door off so I wouldn't break the glass. I used a furniture hand truck to drag it in the house and drop it on the fireplace 8" rise. Was it light, NO, the worst part was up the steps. I managed to get it in the house and installed fairly easily. So if you have a straight shot with no steps I see no need to take it apart but if you have obstacles in the way you may need to especially if you're like me doing it by youself.

Keep the legs on, It'll give you a place to grab when you're "trying" to move it around.

Well , the thing is ,to scoop something up with legs on it, with a dolly doesn't work very good, or maybe I should strap it on a small pallet.
I can take all the bricks out with out taking the air tubes out so bricks out , door off, at least
when I installed my insert ~500 lbs I only took the door off so I wouldn't break the glass. I used a furniture hand truck to drag it in the house and drop it on the fireplace 8" rise. Was it light, NO, the worst part was up the steps. I managed to get it in the house and installed fairly easily. So if you have a straight shot with no steps I see no need to take it apart but if you have obstacles in the way you may need to especially if you're like me doing it by youself.
The guy I am buying it from will help load but bringing it in the house I will be doing it by myself

If you have any stairs to go up or down, do yourself a favor, rent a battery powered stair climbing dolly, they are worth their weight in gold for moving stoves and the like, really slick! Most stove dealers have one that they use to move stoves. Maybe it would be just as cheap/easy to hire the local stove dealer to come and move it in/out for you. You wouldn't need to tear anything apart then either.
No steps , I can back up to the deck and roll it in the back door 3" up

Well , the thing is ,to scoop something up with legs on it, with a dolly doesn't work very good, or maybe I should strap it on a small pallet.

No steps , I can back up to the deck and roll it in the back door 3" up

Well, I think in your situation I would build a heavy duty little pallet out of 2x4s that would fit up under the stove between the legs, tall enough to get the weight off the legs. When you pick it up have the seller help you set it on the "pallet", then when you are home you should be able to move it with a 2 wheel dolly or use blocks and bars (levers) to get it up on a 4 wheel furniture dolly, then you can roll it right into its new home! :clap: I moved my 950lb. Yukon furnace from the garage to its spot in the furnace room using 2 furniture dollys, blocks, pipes, and a spud bar all by myself, it took a couple hours, but it was really easy!

Well, I think in your situation I would build a heavy duty little pallet out of 2x4s that would fit up under the stove between the legs, tall enough to get the weight off the legs. When you pick it up have the seller help you set it on the "pallet", then when you are home you should be able to move it with a 2 wheel dolly or use blocks and bars (levers) to get it up on a 4 wheel furniture dolly, then you can roll it right into its new home! :clap: I moved my 950lb. Yukon furnace from the garage to its spot in the furnace room using 2 furniture dollys, blocks, pipes, and a spud bar all by myself, it took a couple hours, but it was really easy!
Got it home, we used sellers tractor to load on the trailer :clap:
Thanks for the levers idea , I am not new to using levers, but U sparked Ideas for me to get it in house.
View attachment 310276

We moved our stoves with those load straps that go around your back...what an incredible asset they were. Sure your only moving it a few feet at a time but it's 400lbs you're moving and it an easy take.

Don't take it apart.

Already had some extra sliders , took out all the brick and some heavy metal, put sliders under legs,MAN is a lot lighter now :)
Trailer bed is 1" higher than back deck, cool
Will be using wood lever and blocks to raise up to 12" high Hearth

We moved our stoves with those load straps that go around your back...what an incredible asset they were. Sure your only moving it a few feet at a time but it's 400lbs you're moving and it an easy take.

Don't take it apart.
Took out all the brick and some heavy metal, put sliders under legs, MAN is a lot lighter now

View attachment 310596

I moved a similar sized stove with 3 guys and a dolly. It's not a huge stove, shouldn't be too tought of a job.

I moved a similar sized stove with 3 guys and a dolly. It's not a huge stove, shouldn't be too tought of a job.

Removed all fire brick and heavy metal, Put some furniture sliders under the legs, slide from trailer, over deck to stove room ,by myself, next step ,blocking up to 12" Hi hearth .
Heavy metal pic

View attachment 310934

Last edited:
Back