Redwood propagation advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philobite

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
All,

I'm looking for advice on techniques to propagate redwoods from cuttings. I'd like to do cuttings off our own redwood trees to do reforestation instead of buying seedlings from elsewhere.

Thanks, Eric

All,

I'm looking for advice on techniques to propagate redwoods from cuttings. I'd like to do cuttings off our own redwood trees to do reforestation instead of buying seedlings from elsewhere.

Thanks, Eric
Don't really know how well they'll grow from a cuttings as you'll be basically growing just a branch, so I have my doubts, that said 'rooting hormone' should work. Seeds are available from many sources, just google 'em. Oh, I believe this was also discussed here in early '06 (?), try to search it out.

:cheers: & welcome to AS!

Serge

The CA Dept of Forestry sells them for cheap in Ben Lomond. They sell them by 500 and 1000 lots. You could still get them this winter.

Frank, do you have a phone number for Ben Lomond CDF? I can't find it on the CDF website. Thanks!

Be careful when buying and transporting live redwoods. They are on the list of restricted trees suseptible to and carriers of Sudden Oak Death (SOD). Counties on CA and OR that are infected are not going to be allowed to send those cuttings to other counties in either state unless they are certified SOD free. Ben Lomand is in Santa Cruz Co., a restricted county.

I have tried to make hundreds of redwood cuttings from stems and branches, and few have ever rooted. I tried to clone some of the great old trees that I found in central California (before the SOD restriction was put into place). I used heeled cuttings (stem with about an inch of the branch that the stem grew from) which are the recommended method. I have found that it is actually faster to grow redwoods from seeds, and seeds are not restricted by SOD transport. Redwood seedlings seem to grow faster than cuttings do.

[email protected] or call the Magalia Reforestation Center at (530) 872-6301.

They said that 2004 budget cuts limited their supply.

I get small volunteer redwoods from seed all over my property.

This site had seeds for $100 a pound.

F.W. Schumacher Co.
36 Spring Hill Road
Sandwich, MA 02563-1023 U.S.A.
Telephone 508-888-0659
FAX: 508-833-0322

Last edited:
[email protected] or call the Magalia Reforestation Center at (530) 872-6301.

They said that 2004 budget cuts limited their supply.

I get small volunteer redwoods from seed all over my property.

This site had seeds for $100 a pound.

F.W. Schumacher Co.
36 Spring Hill Road
Sandwich, MA 02563-1023 U.S.A.
Telephone 508-888-0659
FAX: 508-833-0322

I read the number of seeds per pound somewhere last month.

But just how many seeds are there in a pound?

I remember that ryegrass has several hundred thousand, and bentgrass has over 5 million seeds per pound. But I don't know any numbers for tree seeds per pound.

For redwoods, wouldn't a pound have thousands of seeds per pound?

Is a pound the minimum order? Or could somebody buy ounces of seeds?

There are lots of Redwood seeds for sale on Ebay by the 50 and 100 count lot. Be sure to order Coastal Redwoods though, as they sell Dawn Redwood and Giant Sequoias there as redwoods too. I have a large dawn redwood, and it is a nice tree. Loses it leaves this time of year.

Thanks for the replies all.

I was hoping to propagate from trees on our own place, since they're obviously adapted to this micro-climate. But if it doesn't work well to do that then seedlings or seeds may be the trick. Maybe I'll try an experiment with seeds.

We get lots of volunteer fir trees, but I generally try to knock them out and rebalance back to redwood. The redwoods do sprout well from stumps and roots after felling, but not as much from volunteer seeds for some reason. I understand from some of the old-timers that forest fires here used to help get the seeds going.

BTW, we're a SOD county (Mendocino). None on our place, but lots in the valley we live in.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that (Mendo + SOD). I love the Anderson Valley. Best pinot noir is at Navarro Vineyards. One good thing about redwoods is that you do not have to replant them after logging. We have mostly volunteer grand (piss) firs that sprouts all over, as well as some Doug firs. Redwoods should do well here, and I have been planting some of the cuttings that have rooted. My brother has a huge grove of redwoods just outside of Portland. Everyone thinks that they are cedars, but they are coastal redwoods.

Last edited:
I love the Anderson Valley. Best pinot noir is at Navarro Vineyards.
Ha! My nearest neighbor is the winemaster at Navarro! Great guy. His daughter teaches ballet class to ours. He's been narrowly missed by a SCUD missile during Gulf War I!! You'll get a kick out of this: He called me because he'd been cutting down a madrone tree and it had fallen the wrong way and gotten hung up in a crotch. Very dangerous. So I took my loader over and grabbed it down for him. He proceeded to try to cut it up (emphasis on try). I watched him work on one cut for a couple minutes. It was smoking hot! and the chain was hanging down at least an inch from the bar.

So I asked him when was the last time he sharpened the chain. He replied with that puzzled look, "sharpened?" Hey, when was the last time you put bar oil in that Stihl man? Reply, "Bar oil?" Just then his Israeli wife comes over and shakes her head and wags her finger at him, "Oh Jeem, Jeem. Let Eric cut zee vood. You goink to keel yourzelf."

Oh well, still the best pinot maker in the world. Just keep him away from zee zaw.

One good thing about redwoods is that you do not have to replant them after logging.
True that. I stand amazed at how vigorous and prolific they are following the logging season. If you want more redwoods, log 'em.

I have heard many times that redwood seeds need fire in order to regenerate well. This is just what I have been told by those who are supposed to know.
It is supposedly one reason that the hated and demonized slash and burn clearcuts of the past came back so well.

I have heard many times that redwood seeds need fire in order to regenerate well. This is just what I have been told by those who are supposed to know.
It is supposedly one reason that the hated and demonized slash and burn clearcuts of the past came back so well.

Don't need to slash or burn redwood cuts though. The stumps all re-sprout on their own! Doug firs do well after fires, as do Monetery Pines. They both need lots of light and fire is a means of natural clearing.

Been doing more research on this one, and it seeems that most redwood seeds are not viable, and they are indeed tiny! As quoted from Sacramento County UC master gardener Liz Haines, "A single tree may produce 6 million seeds a year, but the seeds are so tiny that a million seeds weigh only 8 pounds. Unfortunately, 95 percent of the seeds are not viable and of those that do germinate, very few actually grow into seedlings.

Instead of relying on seeds, the lumber industry propagates redwoods by sprouting redwood buds cut from burls collected from the base of a redwood tree. A burl is stem tissue that forms at the base of young trees. It never elongates into a shoot but is a reservoir of dormant buds that can sprout new growth should the parent tree die.

The burl tissue provides a source of carbohydrates to its growing sprouts and can generate roots. The burl buds are placed in glass tubes filled with a small amount of water. After the small tree is well rooted, it is planted in long fiber tubes filled with coarse compost to encourage heavy root growth. The tree is ready for field planting in late winter when it is about 12 to 18 inches long."

So, instead of rooting heeled cutting on redwoods like I have before, I will try burlwood cuttings. I can use my brother's redwood trees in Portland as sources, and avoid any chance of transporting SOD from CA (also legal).

I live in Redwood country. We have seedlings sprouting all over. They love to sprout in flower beds/pots. After they are about a foot tall we move them to where we want them. Dec to Feb works well for transplanting. They need water the first year or so. Get some seeds and plant them in a flower bed and see what happens.

All,

Thanks, Eric

If Sequoia sempervirens, some root at 90%. Use terminal or lateral cuttings in March. 8000 ppm IBA, mist, peat : perlite and bottom heat. Cuttings may callus rapidly and this needs to be rubbed off. Stake the strongest shoot and trim back the others to develop a leader.
If Sequoia giganteum, more difficult. Winter cuttings, 2000 to 4000 ppm IBA-quick dip, organic medium. Cuttings from young trees root in satisfactory numbers

Info from The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation/From Seed to Tissue Culture by Michael A. Dirr and Charles W. Heuser, Jr.

peat:pperlite

Last edited:
Elmore,

Sequoia Sempervirens is what we have - Just the info I was looking for. Thanks!

My pleasure. I used to live in an old Redwood forest near Pescadero.
Look for the book.
I have a friend back here in Dixie who roots some in small pots placed in large, clear plastic kitty litter containers. Places some water in the bottom to supply the moisture and controls that moisture within the container by venting the lid.
Good luck.

Don't need to slash or burn redwood cuts though. The stumps all re-sprout on their own! Doug firs do well after fires, as do Monetery Pines. They both need lots of light and fire is a means of natural clearing.

One thing to note about burning vs not burning is that in some locations your sprouts will take from the top section of the stump and may be prone to windthrow as they grow and the stump slowly rots. The burnt stump sprouts from the ground level and the roots and is not prown to this problem.

Best this to do is call a nursery. There is an orchid nursery with greenhouses and labs in both Alton and Loleta California that does redwood cultivar clones from your cuttings. I do not have the number, but you might find it during a search.

Latest posts

Back