Reforestation Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axe Man

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I want to start replacing the trees I've been harvesting over the last 2 years. Right now there is very little sugar maple on my property and no oak, but would like to go that route. There is ash here but with the ash borer being a problem I think I might stay away from ash. Would also like to introduce some black locust.
Has anybody on these boards done this? and if so what species have you had the best results with, what size trees do you plant, where's the best place to purchase and what are the rough costs? Thanks for all opinions.

I'd gather seed from the Sugar bush and the Red Oak and plant them by hand with a hole poker to make the right depth hole for each.
Oak has to go through a freeze in the ground to sprout. Not sure about Sugar bush.

I'd plant some Ash just for firewood if I could.

A little online research should tell you what and when and how on these things, but if you gather the seed and plant it directly it should sprout and grow...

Good luck.

I want to start replacing the trees I've been harvesting over the last 2 years. Right now there is very little sugar maple on my property and no oak, but would like to go that route. There is ash here but with the ash borer being a problem I think I might stay away from ash. Would also like to introduce some black locust.
Has anybody on these boards done this? and if so what species have you had the best results with, what size trees do you plant, where's the best place to purchase and what are the rough costs? Thanks for all opinions.

Planting trees for the next generation is an admirable endeavor.

I’ve started oak in my yard with success. I gathered acorns and planted them in the fall, 5 acorns to a hill about 4 inches apart. At least 4 of the 5 acorns in each hill sprouted the next spring. I waited until the next summer to decide which seedling appeared to be the strongest and pulled the others out. Keep them covered and surrounded with chicken wire or the rabbits and deer will eat them off… I lost all but one to animals during the second winter after sprouting. The one that survived is over 12-feet high now.

attachment.php

I would stick with species that grow well in your area. Reason I say that is you mention Oak and Black Locust, and I am not sure if those species do well in NB. For instance, some range maps I have seen for red oak show it in all of northern Maine, and I have been all over Northern Maine and never seen it there to speak of (BTW, some people think Augusta is northern Maine but it ain't so). Don't think I have ever seen black Locust in northern Maine either. Course some parts of NB might actually be a milder climate than Maine and those species might do ok in your locale, but you probably get my point.

I would stick with species that grow well in your area. Reason I say that is you mention Oak and Black Locust, and I am not sure if those species do well in NB. For instance, some range maps I have seen for red oak show it in all of northern Maine, and I have been all over Northern Maine and never seen it there to speak of (BTW, some people think Augusta is northern Maine but it ain't so). Don't think I have ever seen black Locust in northern Maine either. Course some parts of NB might actually be a milder climate than Maine and those species might do ok in your locale, but you probably get my point.

I second this. I got some maple and several diff. oak localy and planted. Had about 50% on oak and near 100% on maple. I now have about 10 new trees started this year and I will do more this fall.

Latest posts

Back