Relative's tree care

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gopher

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Twicw in 24 hours, I received the usual scorn from parents and in-laws over decisions they asked me about regarding tree and shrub care.

The question to all other professionals: "How do you professionally ignore your relatives that continue to question your expertise that most of the rest of the world believes and trusts?"

My dear mother-in-law asked at least three times to have her sight out of her kitchen window restored (the window was totally obscured by an over grown mock orange). Finally, I pruned it nicely (my father-in-law had gradually raised it's height about two feet over the course of ten years.) It looked pretty good given the fact that I did reduce it to a point where we will have room to work with it now in the future. It is very healthy and growing very rapidly.

Also, this same father-in-law has killed two clumps of paper birch (the third - under my care - is thriving after about six years), poisoned his flowering crab with Roundup (even after I reminded him to remove the sprouts before spraying the ground), and overwatered his barberry bushes every year.

I am now getting the silent treatment yetr again, even after my wife tried to explain to her Mom why I did what I did (I tried as well).

To cap this off, my mother calls this morning to say a twelve inch limb fell off the green ash in the backyard, and they didn't even know it until the neighbor came over and said they should do something about the limb in his yard. She wanted a recommendation on who should clean it up, but noe to remove the tree. I once again told her that the tree is very hazardous (it will eventuallly take the house if not dealt with soon) and gave her two names of people in her area that are very good tree people. She then preceeded to mention a name she had in mind (a real hack), and it left me to wonder, "Why the call?" Once again, no trust from the son who has been doing some sort of tree work/occupation for twenty-five years.

I guess the old adage is absolutely correct, "You can choose your friends, but not your relatives!"

I will gratiously accept any advice on how to deal with the afformentioned situations because they won't go away.

Oh, by the way, my aunt said I killed Grandma's tree twelve years ago. Yes, it is very much alive, and I work on it every year (old silver maple). See!? It just never ends...

Frustrated arborist son - Gopher

Sounds like a no-win situation. Perhaps it is time to COMPLETELY quit working for them, or even offering advice. If they ask you something about trees (just so they can tell you your answer is wrong), tell them to call a 'pro' since they ignore your advice anyway.
It will be hard to separate yourself from trying to help them with their trees, but if it causes you nothing but frustration then it's time to let someone else have the job of dealing with their trees.
:(

Hmmmmm My mother complained about the leaves falling from her magnolia tree for about three months & her Very old Ugly azaleas. One day while they werent at home I went over took down the magnolia and Dug out the azaleas with the Skidsteer. My question was why did the Magnolia leaves bother her? I was the one doing the lawn maint and having to get the leaves up!

With a straight face, suggest that----"Lots of fireman cut trees on their days off. They are usually cheaper than a pro and ruin lots of trees. Why don't you check with one of them." That is a not overly subtle way of letting them know that you have noticed their disrespect for your advice. Use at your own risk.;)

Bradley, I realize that not all firemen who moonlight as arborists are incompetent. I haven't met a competent one yet but I didn't mean to make a blanket stereotype.;)

Dave, just fall into a Rodney Dangerfield routine.

"I don't get no respect!!"

Ask the MIL if she would rather you rejeuvenate it this winter.

Mom askes about "Hack and Slash Tree Butchers"; "Nah, I wouldn't work for them, much less hire them!"

Sounds like you have a good wife sticking up for you. Maybe just from now on, have here arrange any work for her family.

"What do you want Ma?"
"No he wont do that kind of thing, it's butcher work to him."
"Ma, why do you ask him to do it if your gonna gripe? You want a proper job for free, ask him nicely."
"Ma, he won't do it any more if you keep this up!"

Inlaws and friends -

Sounds like they have deeper issues than simply being a bit oversensitive regarding their trees.

Next time,

BILL them.

I religiously avoid work for family/neighbors, etc. If you charge them full price, they feel ripped off but if you give them a freebie or a discount, they will refer you to their friends and expect the same there. If you donate your time as a gift, it has to be just that. You cannot expect anything in return. It is way better to just avoid the whole situation.

Plus a lot of them see what you do for a living and go "you are crazy swinging around way up there" and urge you to move to a "safer" profession.

Thanks, all for your comments. Yes, I do believe that abstinence from the family when it comes to my profession will keep me more sane. All except Grandma's maple. She's 88, and appreciates what I do for her...

All's well that end's well.

Gopher

Sounds like you got a special Grandma. But she'd probably say that she has a special Grandson!
:)

relatives

Relatives, especially in laws, can be a special challenge for any professional. Thankfully your wife is supportive of you, so let her fend off her relatives. Personally I would avoid any discussion regarding tree/shrub maintenance with them.

I wish my husband was supportive, but he got mad when I told him the maple at the front he kept referring to was in fact a linden. We had to move into a house with a maple at the front so he would be correct! :) He now refers to the locusts in the backyard as lindens. I have learned to keep all my knowledge to myself, because as some of you pointed out, no one wants to listen anyways.

Latest posts

Back