Reliable chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
poolans just don't hold up to regular use, couple that with a new carb that more then likely needed to be tuned... I'll make a guess both saws cooked the cylinder and piston, that or the crap tastic bearings gave up

Echo is fine saw, Stihl, or Husqvarna are good too

Makita/Dolmars are great but hard to find parts for

Biggest thing is spend the money on a pro grade saw, you have a boat load of work to do and a weekend warrior saw isn't going to hold up.
I got to thinking about what you sed about cooking cylinders and pistons. They both quit working after I changed the carb out. You might be right. Maybe I should've taken them to a shop to have them tuned after I changed them out

I got to thinking about what you sed about cooking cylinders and pistons. They both quit working after I changed the carb out. You might be right. Maybe I should've taken them to a shop to have them tuned after I changed them out
There would little chance of a carb coming set right for your saw, even new saws come set
up too lean on occasion, and wii certainly cook if not adjusted.

There would little chance of a carb coming set right for your saw, even new saws come set
up too lean on occasion, and wii certainly cook if not adjusted.
I don't recall ever adjusting the craftsman but I did adjust the poulan but they both quit almost exactly the same way. They revved really high w out me even pulling the throttle and quit and wouldn't start back

Well I guess I'll definitely have 2 parts saws now. Only thing is they won't be interchangable unless I buy another poulan or husky

What is the average diameter of the wood you'll be cutting? Ten acres of maintenance and firewwoding sounds like a heavy task for a cs-400.
The last couple of years I've been cutting around 30" or less. Worked the big saw pretty heavily on poplar, hickory, and oak. But for the most part I try to keep and eye out on Craigslist for free wood that people have paid someone to cut a tree down and cut it up and leave it laying.

The last couple of years I've been cutting around 30" or less. Worked the big saw pretty heavily on poplar, hickory, and oak. But for the most part I try to keep and eye out on Craigslist for free wood that people have paid someone to cut a tree down and cut it up and leave it laying.
So the average is 30"? That's 70+cc territory.

So the average is 30"? That's 70+cc territory.
That's what I had been cutting w my 50cc Poulan. Had a co-worker that bought an acre wooded lot and needed it cleared to build a house. He cut a lot of it but I cut a lot too. 10 F250 long bed and 5x10 utility trailers full. Reckon I just worked it to death?

That's what I had been cutting w my 50cc Poulan. Had a co-worker that bought an acre wooded lot and needed it cleared to build a house. He cut a lot of it but I cut a lot too. 10 F250 long bed and 5x10 utility trailers full. Reckon I just worked it to death?
That should be just a warm up for quality pro saw. Surprised Tim has not said a new clone saw :buttkick::laughing:

People do more with less. Personally I would want something 70cc for what you're doing. Before you ruin an $800 saw though I would try and figure out what killed the other ones.

People do more with less. Personally I would want something 70cc for what you're doing. Before you ruin an $800 saw though I would try and figure out what killed the other ones.
Well I got to thinking about what Whinbush sed about putting a new carb on and it needing tuning afterwards. I put a new carb on both of my saws and tuned the Poulan but not the craftsman because the craftsman never started again

And I agree, if you really need a part that is keeping you from working, then definitely buy
local, but not many people end up depending on one saw, something which becomes aparant
to us all when we head out to cut.
I ordered chains and files recently, and the wait is considerable, but I have plenty so this does
not effect me, local Husky dealer does not sell Husky chain, I would also worry what else
he doesn’t stock for Huskies, you need a well stocked dealer, or have plan B.
Husqy chain is just rebranded Oregon chain, and is garbage compared to stihl chain... but its cheaper so?

Not the new stuff. Guys are raving about the c83 and c85.
The same guys have probably been raving about it forever, Unless Oregon starts to prestretch (like Stihl) and gets some better steel involved, not to mention the less then polished stampings... I'll continue to run Stihl chains, bars and clutch parts

The same guys have probably been raving about it forever, Unless Oregon starts to prestretch (like Stihl) and gets some better steel involved, not to mention the less then polished stampings... I'll continue to run Stihl chains, bars and clutch parts
It's not LGX anymore, not even made by Oregon. Hit your dealer up and check it out.

If that's the case, you should learn how to tune your own saws, or eliminate the potential problem by buying an mtronic Stihl, or a comparable saw that has some type of "auto tune" feature. If you go with a Stihl mtronic saw, you'll never have to worry about tuning your saw. Just recalibrate it when necessary (very easy to do), and run it.

Back