Reliable chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If that's the case, you should learn how to tune your own saws, or eliminate the potential problem by buying an mtronic Stihl, or a comparable saw that has some type of "auto tune" feature. If you go with a Stihl mtronic saw, you'll never have to worry about tuning your saw. Just recalibrate it when necessary (very easy to do), and run it.
Well I tuned my big saw and it ran great for a while. The other one never started after the carb change.is that the equivalent of fuel injection?

Your blessed then, if your local dealer can compete or come close to the big box boys,
your far better off going local dealer, you will get all sorts of info from them, preventative
words of wisdom gathered through experience, not some kid who wants to get back to
what’s app and knows nothing to start with.

At least Husqvarna at Lowe’s is Catalog MSRP. Ain’t No Bargain, or Flexibility there.

I bought my Wife’s Husky 445, at Xtreme Power Sports, in Okanogan, WA, I was up there for work, had Never been in the shop before, hell, I didn’t even know about the shop, just saw it driving by. I had waited to long looking for one with the 16” bar, and didn’t have time before Christmas to order one (Yes, She actually WANTED Her OWN Saw:surprised3::)) I put it on the counter, didn’t even try to dicker, he said $305:dancing:, MSRP was $339, I got the saw and the 3 cans of Premix, that doubles the warranty, for $10 LESS, than Lowe’s wanted for the saw alone

I buy from a dealer whenever I can, I would rather support a business that will support my Saws, rather than a Don’t know Schitt, Don’t Service Schitt, Don’t sell parts Big Box store

Doug :cheers:

what he said, except I like stihls mostly for their ergonomics... gots a gimpy wrist and the Husqy's are difficult to hang on to... the sthils have a steeper throttle grip, most other saws mimick the Husqy pattern sadly including Dolmar/Makita/Sachs-Dolmar cause they are some really fun saws to cut with

I Will repeat, dealer is everything, we have 3 Husqy dealers now, one in a rigging shop where service depends on your looks, one in a motorcycle shop... where none of them have ever fell timber, and the other too far away to bother with

I got 2 really good stihl shops within spitting distance, one is super old school, the other is, but looks modern on the outside lol

then we have a logging supply house farther north, that competes with Slowp's friends farther south, This doesn't include the hardware stores that are carrying stihl products now too. so mostly Stihls are ran in the woods around here, ya might even get laughed at if you bring a husqy

Ran into a guy one time who I had only seen running a faller buncher. He was falling by chainsaw on this day and had a brand new Husky that a rigging shop (starts with a W) had let him try out for a week. I guess he did a lot of business with them so it was not a problem.

Ran into a guy one time who I had only seen running a faller buncher. He was falling by chainsaw on this day and had a brand new Husky that a rigging shop (starts with a W) had let him try out for a week. I guess he did a lot of business with them so it was not a problem.
That W shop has a sister... last I checked they stopped carrying the Husqvarna stuff, they was down to a 394xp? and one of those cut off saws...

Well I tuned my big saw and it ran great for a while. The other one never started after the carb change.is that the equivalent of fuel injection?
If your saw never started after the new carb, it might be worth getting the basic
settings of the carb dialled in and see If it starts, unless the cylinder or piston are scored,
if so, probably sell the saw for parts.

If your saw never started after the new carb, it might be worth getting the basic
settings of the carb dialled in and see If it starts, unless the cylinder or piston are scored,
if so, probably sell the saw for parts.
I actually took it to two different small engine mechanics. Both sed it was compression issues but didn't get into details as far as rings, springs, or scored. What I don't understand is I take very good care of my equipment and it just quit

I actually took it to two different small engine mechanics. Both sed it was compression issues but didn't get into details as far as rings, springs, or scored. What I don't understand is I take very good care of my equipment and it just quit
back to the bearings, they go bad, seals go bad
saw runs lean
overheats dies.

it can happen in a hurry

back to the bearings, they go bad, seals go bad
saw runs lean
overheats dies.

it can happen in a hurry
Yes, unfortunately it doesn’t take much to go from my Saw was running great,
to it just quit, there’s a thin line between max power (running the best it ever did)
to it just stopped working. We live and learn.

That W shop has a sister... last I checked they stopped carrying the Husqvarna stuff, they was down to a 394xp? and one of those cut off saws...
I bought Old Sparkless from the W shop that was in Morton. They went out of business shortly after I returned from exile. Part of their problem was that you never knew if it would be open or not. So, loggers got tired of finding it closed and headed on west.

Yes, unfortunately it doesn’t take much to go from my Saw was running great,
to it just quit, there’s a thin line between max power (running the best it ever did)
to it just stopped working. We live and learn.
yep wow this thing is kickin some ass today... is a pretty good sign its about to seize

a 2 stroke runs its best on the thin line between its a little smoking and boy howdy she's gettin er today...

and it don't take much to go too lean, round here altitude changes alone can blow a saw up if your not careful, especially if your running modified saws.

I'm sorry but the mountains you folks have in Ireland are really kinda funny for me... the fact a few folks are impressed by being able to climb em in a day and be back for dinner at the pub endlessly amusing... its an overnight adventure on the little ones here... taken your life in your hands for Rainier/Baker/Glacier or a multitude of others in the wilderness areas... and we likely won't bother sending search and rescue for at least 24 hours after you don't arrive... and they may never find your body lol... loggers will though, course samesies for the East coast guys... blue/smokey/Adirondacks... funny shizz

Dang you're right that's a little more than I wanted to spend. I was looking @ the Echo 400 home depot has. Does it make a difference whether you buy it from a dealer or big box?
The cs400 is one of Echo,s best sellers . It will run with many 50 cc. saws with a simple muffler mod . The other advice on Dolkita,s is sound also they compare with Echo as to quality prograde saws at bargain prices ! ;)

The last couple of years I've been cutting around 30" or less. Worked the big saw pretty heavily on poplar, hickory, and oak. But for the most part I try to keep and eye out on Craigslist for free wood that people have paid someone to cut a tree down and cut it up and leave it laying.
30" trees will burn up any 40 c.c. saw quick , 18 " and an occasional 20"+ A cs400 is probably not sufficient for your cutting . As Tim advised a 60-70 c.c saw is required for that type of hardwood cutting . You most likely burnt the rings out of your Poulans !

One of the priorities at the top of my list when comparing/ researching any features of any brand of saw is the
‘Power to Weight Ratio’
Production, fatigue, safety!
Very true, especially if you have any sort of injury that plays up with heavy work,
get what you can handle.

Back