Remington Chainsaws(including Mall chainsaws)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
Nice job sawdust, She looks sweet.
Wait till you get to run her. I have
the similar model Pro 88 which is
the same 105 cc motor and i'm always
very impressed everytime i sink it in
some nice wood. Lots of grunt.

Lee

Wait till you get to run her. Lots of grunt.

Lee

Oh yes, you're correct sir....we brutalized some good ole Tennessee white oak before I put his retirement duds on. Really mean old saw. I have a Pro 88 slated for restoration...when I can get to it.

Finest kind!

The low angle winter sun is hard to deal with.

283446d1362783548-p3080181-jpg

I have a GL-7 that I could get going but it needs a crank. Keyway is wallowed. Clutch end is different than the Pro 88. Tapped 1/4"-28 L.H.

Coil has been changed to a Wico.

Carl.

Finest kind!

The low angle winter sun is hard to deal with.

283446d1362783548-p3080181-jpg

I have a GL-7 that I could get going but it needs a crank. Keyway is wallowed. Clutch end is different than the Pro 88. Tapped 1/4"-28 L.H.

Coil has been changed to a Wico.

Carl.

I believe I have a NOS GL7 crank. I'll check an see.

The Mighty Mite Lives!

Hard to say exactly what the issue was but after cleaning, testing and reassembling all the ignition parts, it sparked!:msp_w00t:

So I filled it with fuel (16:1, it likes the oil) then pulled, and pulled, and pulled. It didn’t even fire!:mad: So I pulled the plug and confirmed it still had spark, it did! Then I poured a little fuel in the carb and voilà, it came to life…then died. Then one more shot of fuel straight to the carb and of she went with a deafening cross between a bark and a growl. It’s hard to believe something so small could make so much noise. But what a beautiful noise it is!:clap:

Now the hunt begins for a new chain and drive sprocket.:msp_razz: The chain is actually in good shape but at the end of adjustment while the drive sprocket is worn pretty thin.

Thanks to everyone for share their knowledge. Special thanks to dff110! Very much appreciated!:rock:

Hard to say exactly what the issue was but after cleaning, testing and reassembling all the ignition parts, it sparked!:msp_w00t:

So I filled it with fuel (16:1, it likes the oil) then pulled, and pulled, and pulled. It didn’t even fire!:mad: So I pulled the plug and confirmed it still had spark, it did! Then I poured a little fuel in the carb and voilà, it came to life…then died. Then one more shot of fuel straight to the carb and of she went with a deafening cross between a bark and a growl. It’s hard to believe something so small could make so much noise. But what a beautiful noise it is!:clap:

Now the hunt begins for a new chain and drive sprocket.:msp_razz: The chain is actually in good shape but at the end of adjustment while the drive sprocket is worn pretty thin.

Thanks to everyone for share their knowledge. Special thanks to dff110! Very much appreciated!:rock:

I have a clutch and new spur/drum you are welcome to for the postage if interested. It is 1/4" pitch x 8 tooth.

Post a pic. of what is on there.

Glad to hear it's running! I think Remingtons are some of the loudest saws I have heard. If Carl can't help you out with the clutch drum/sprocket, let me know. I have found an old Remington dealer near my house that still has a pretty nice stock pile of NOS parts.

Glad to hear it's running! I think Remingtons are some of the loudest saws I have heard. If Carl can't help you out with the clutch drum/sprocket, let me know. I have found an old Remington dealer near my house that still has a pretty nice stock pile of NOS parts.

See if he has a NOS or just good serviceable piston for a PL-5 or SL-11. 48.5mm bore. I have a PL-5 carcass that runs but the piston looks like home made ****.

Carl.

See if he has a NOS or just good serviceable piston for a PL-5 or SL-11. 48.5mm bore. I have a PL-5 carcass that runs but the piston looks like home made ****.

Carl.

The last few times I asked him about Pistons and cylnders his stock piles were limited there, but I will ask next time I stop bye. He is a real old timer now selling Husky's and doesn't believe in computers haha. I told him if he ever wants to sell all the Remmy stuff to let me know. I have two remmy powerheads in a box that followed me home? (can't remember where they came from) all the markings are worn off, and they are the SL style, one might be an SL-11. I will check for you.

Mighty Mite drive sproket.

67L36DRIVER: thanks very much for the offer. I'll certainly take you up on it and wll post some pictures this evening.

Does anyone know if it is possible to remove a link from the chain?

Thanks again!

SL-9A headaches

Freshly rebuilt a Remington SL-9A a few months ago. It took me a while to get the brass tank vent drilled out properly for a duckbill valve. I rebuilt the tank vent because I was having problems with the saw not running properly, and the carb box filling with gas.

It has a new tank vent, carb rebuilt, and new gaskets between the tank and carb box, and between the carb box and carb. Still having the same problems. I soon as I fill the gas tank, fuel runs into the carb box. After a few hours of banging my head off the work bench, I have concluded that the gas leak is coming from the high side adjustment screw. When the screw is all the way in and seated, it does not leak, as soon as that seat is broken, gas leaks out.

This has me baffled. Is it possible that the carb seat is bad, or is there some type of seal around the screw that is damaged? I was too frustrated, and hungry to pull the carb off again (Remington didn't make it an easy task).

Any and all ideas welcome :bang:

Freshly rebuilt a Remington SL-9A a few months ago. It took me a while to get the brass tank vent drilled out properly for a duckbill valve. I rebuilt the tank vent because I was having problems with the saw not running properly, and the carb box filling with gas.

It has a new tank vent, carb rebuilt, and new gaskets between the tank and carb box, and between the carb box and carb. Still having the same problems. I soon as I fill the gas tank, fuel runs into the carb box. After a few hours of banging my head off the work bench, I have concluded that the gas leak is coming from the high side adjustment screw. When the screw is all the way in and seated, it does not leak, as soon as that seat is broken, gas leaks out.

This has me baffled. Is it possible that the carb seat is bad, or is there some type of seal around the screw that is damaged? I was too frustrated, and hungry to pull the carb off again (Remington didn't make it an easy task).

Any and all ideas welcome :bang:

Welch plug(s) leaking? That would explain why it don't leak with the high side run all the way in.

The only other place I can think of is the fuel inlet to the carb. as that style has an inlet port in the face by the throttle bore. Not a 90 degree spigot like most others. SL-11 and PL-55 is similar.

Last edited:
67L36DRIVER: thanks very much for the offer. I'll certainly take you up on it and wll post some pictures this evening.

Does anyone know if it is possible to remove a link from the chain?

Thanks again!

Are you shure about the 1/4" x 8 tooth. Check and see if it is 3/8" L.P. x 7.

Any shop that services chainsaws should be able to shorten a chain. Having 1/4" presets may be a problem.

Welch plug(s) leaking?

The only other place I can think of is the fuel inlet to the carb. as that style has an inlet port in the face by the throttle bore. Not a 90 degree spigot like most others. SL-11 and PL-55 is similar.

I thought about the fuel inlet leaking. That's why I made new gaskets and sealed everything with motoseal. Leaking welch plugs could be it, but I still don't get why it is leaking out around the high speed screw.

Pictures: Mighty Mite drive sprocket / clutch drum

The drum is 2 3/8ths inches in diameter and the drive sprocket (attached) is 1 1/16th

The number on the drum is: A28-258

The drive sprocket has 8 openings to receive the chain. The dividers between the openings on my sprocket are almost worn through.

Thanks again!

View attachment 284230View attachment 284232

Carl.

I pulled out the two remmy's in a box that followed me home.

This one has a clutch cover with a mangled sticker that appears to end with an -11. The saw is not locked up, but I have yet to see a piston in worse shape (from the exhaust side).
attachment.php

This one, labeled as 65cc which matches the PL-5, has a very nice piston looking through the exhaust side. The clutch cover is missing, and using the popsicle stick method measures roughly 45mm. If you think this could be the right piston, I can pull it apart next week. (I'm going to be away for work for a few days, and have a big sale to feed my CAD this weekend)
attachment.php

284420d1363219697-2013-03-13-19-25-43-jpg

That looks like a PL-5 with SL type fuel and oil caps. The other must be a PL-4.

SL/PL-4 is a 46mm bore and 59cc. PL-5 and SL-11 is the 48.5mm bore and 65cc.

The above could be either as the recoils interchange. Only way to tell is with the popsicle and dial calipers method.

Back