Remington Chainsaws(including Mall chainsaws)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great job! Your saw looks really good. The closest I have to a Remington is a Mall 2MG which I plan to restore some time in future. I would like to get a Bantam or Super 75 version that has the starter on clutch cover - I think that these are the best looking saws from the flywheel side.

Thanks! The Bantams you mention really are cool looking saws. I've held off purchasing one because of the starter clutch setup. Guess I'm leary of potential problems there. I believe the first ones came out with a steel cable that later was changed to nylon rope. Love to see your 2MG.

Remington chain

It's getting awfully quite in here........
Let's talk Remington guide bars and chains. Two of my 754's have .058 gauge bars and the others have .063. All are running. 404 pitch chain. I just purchased a Super 770 with the original Remington chain stamped HE. It appears to be .058. Anybody out there familiar with the evolution of Remington bars and chain?

Mall pnuematic, (underwater)

CIMG2761.jpg

CIMG2762.jpg

CIMG2763.jpg

It's getting awfully quite in here........
Let's talk Remington guide bars and chains. Two of my 754's have .058 gauge bars and the others have .063. All are running. 404 pitch chain. I just purchased a Super 770 with the original Remington chain stamped HE. It appears to be .058. Anybody out there familiar with the evolution of Remington bars and chain?

9/16

chainthis018.jpg

Backup or Plan B 75A

This; Vintage Remington 75A Chain Saw-Parts or Repair - eBay (item 370507143957 end time May-12-11 18:37:47 PDT) has a new home.

Carb box cover is gone along with any air filter it may have had. Damage from thrown chain is not all that bad. Blew 95 psi after several minutes of getting the comp tester hose screwed in. O.E.M. bar #A-2817 (20" ??) is like new except for some cosmetic rust. Chain is getting close to done for. Maybe it can be used more but I'm lost when it comes to chain. Usual fuel tank load of stink and the carb is so varnished up the trigger won't move the throttle shaft. Has a spur sprocket/drum not like my other 75A.

I dumped the tank out in the alley. I hope the neighbors don't mind.

All in all, worth the side trip when we went to K.C. today.
Carl.

Last edited:
Yep, that will be a good project saw. I purchased the Logmaster from the same guy. I'm looking for an air filter myself, they're scarce right now. The 7/16" flat top chain might be hard to come by. You might be better off to change it over to a .404, although the .058 gauge .404 chain is just about as hard to come by. That 75A also has a carter carb. You can still get rebuild kits for them. Good luck with the rebuild, we look forward to updates.

Super 754

I went to look at a tractor for sale and the guy had a pile of saws sitting outside his garage.Included was a Super 754 thats missing the filter cover and clutch cover.I know this isn't the classifieds but I bought the saws and want to get rid of the Remington,if anyone's interested please PM me. Dan

Thanks for that Sawbones. Don't have anything using that chain, but it looks cool. Nice pneumatic as well. Have you run across any variances in bar and chain as I mentioned in my post?

Most of my time has been spent with the older Mall saws, 1/2 pitch and up.

Only fiddled with a couple remy's but do know you can never tell what bar combo a saw is wearing .

When I found the army saws had 7/16 I was thankful to have the old chain charts to match it to.

I started to build a few of these chain displays showing 11 different pitches. These were all new chain except for the 7/16.

Have since aquired some new 7/16 to finish them now.

CIMG3476.jpg

Yep, that will be a good project saw. I purchased the Logmaster from the same guy. I'm looking for an air filter myself, they're scarce right now. The 7/16" flat top chain might be hard to come by. You might be better off to change it over to a .404, although the .058 gauge .404 chain is just about as hard to come by. That 75A also has a carter carb. You can still get rebuild kits for them. Good luck with the rebuild, we look forward to updates.

The problem that crops up is that part of the drum/sprocket has a hub that has a shoulder that sticks inside the saw housing and the crankshaft seal rides on.
View attachment 183822
View attachment 183823
View attachment 183824

You would have to get a clutch drum/sprocket from a Bantam (.404" pitch) and hope it would work in a 75A or a 754.

I have sketched out a replacement bushing to convert an Oregon #10619 to adapt a replaceable rim drive drum.
View attachment 183825

Any volunteers to make it out of Oil-lite sintered bronze holowbar?

Last edited:
I went to look at a tractor for sale and the guy had a pile of saws sitting outside his garage.Included was a Super 754 thats missing the filter cover and clutch cover.I know this isn't the classifieds but I bought the saws and want to get rid of the Remington,if anyone's interested please PM me. Dan

I'll trade you two Walmart Poulan 2150's, Two Mac 2014 Eager Beavers and a little red Homie XL for it.:jester:

Just kidding. It is missing the one part I would need.

Post a pic here and/or in the Swap Meet thread.

Bar and chain on it?

The problem that crops up is that part of the drum/sprocket has a hub that has a shoulder that sticks inside the saw housing and the crankshaft seal rides on.
View attachment 183822
View attachment 183823
View attachment 183824

You would have to get a clutch drum/sprocket from a Bantam (.404" pitch) and hope it would work in a 75A or a 754.

I have sketched out a replacement bushing to convert an Oregon #10619 to adapt a replaceable rim drive drum.
View attachment 183825

Any volunteers to make it out of Oil-lite sintered bronze holowbar?

Surely you have a local machine shop up to the task. What is the OD of your crankshaft on the clutch side? The 754's are 5/8 inch.

Surely you have a local machine shop up to the task. What is the OD of your crankshaft on the clutch side? The 754's are 5/8 inch.[/QUOTE]

The 75A is a nominal 5/8" also.

To have a part made in one of the local shops would rival or exceed the total investment in the saw.:msp_scared: I am looking for a hobbiest to make it.

If you ever remove your clutch, take a good look at the bearing and seal arrangement, it's unusual.

Last edited:
Surely you have a local machine shop up to the task. What is the OD of your crankshaft on the clutch side? The 754's are 5/8 inch.[/QUOTE]

The 75A is a nominal 5/8" also.

To have a part made in one of the local shops would rival or exceed the total investment in the saw.:msp_scared: I am looking for a hobbiest to make it.

If you ever remove your clutch, take a good look at the bearing and seal arrangement, it's unusual.

The only one I've pulled, was from my parts saw. It is the Oregon replacement rim sprocket system PN 10619. It doesn't have any needle bearings in it. It is a simple Bronze nipple insert that sits against the crank seal to hold the compression. The drum spins freely on it. If you can find the clutch mechanism for Oregon PN ORF 30666x rim sprocket drum, it will fit my saw, It has the same setup. Don't know if it will work on the 75A. Hope this helps. Mr. Bow Saw, might have some info.

I have the 75A from K.C.,K. ready for a carb kit from Sugar Creek Supply and as soon as Joe gets it to me I'm going to see if the thing will run with 95# of compression. It took three soak cycles of lacquer thinner (really, really strong stuff) to get the fuel tank clean.

We may overhaul this one first.

The recoil starters on these things look to belong to an 18 hp riding mower.:rock:

Latest posts

Back