Remington Chainsaws(including Mall chainsaws)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks like a PL-5 with SL type fuel and oil caps. The other must be a PL-4.

SL/PL-4 is a 46mm bore and 59cc. PL-5 and SL-11 is the 48.5mm bore and 65cc.

The above could be either as the recoils interchange. Only way to tell is with the popsicle and dial calipers method.

I used a piece of wood to get the rough measurement. Didn't have any popsicle sticks in the garage. When I get home next week I will pop the saw apart and check it with a caliper.

What is the SL- number that matches the PL-4? Just for clarification, so I know what parts saws I have up there.

I used a piece of wood to get the rough measurement. Didn't have any popsicle sticks in the garage. When I get home next week I will pop the saw apart and check it with a caliper.

What is the SL- number that matches the PL-4? Just for clarification, so I know what parts saws I have up there.

The PL-4 and SL-4 are nearly identical from what I have observed. And, the only difference between a PL-4 and PL-5 is the piston/cylinder diameter.

SL-11, PL/SL-55 and PL-7 have the integral crankcase design kind of like the Homie XL-101.

I have small grandkids so I have an ongoing supply of popsicle sticks.:msp_thumbup:

754G almost a runner.

Mo. Jim came over and brought his ex army 754G for us to tinker on. Got the recoil starter catching much better and he pops and sputters on a prime.

Anyone know about the MIL spec. spark pulgs they put in them things? We didn't have a long enuff 13/16" deep well socket to get it out.

attachment.php

attachment.php

All in all looks like a low hour saw. Very little wear on the drive sprocket.

Mo. Jim came over and brought his ex army 754G for us to tinker on. Got the recoil starter catching much better and he pops and sputters on a prime.

Anyone know about the MIL spec. spark pulgs they put in them things? We didn't have a long enuff 13/16" deep well socket to get it out.

attachment.php

attachment.php

All in all looks like a low hour saw. Very little wear on the drive sprocket.

You'll probably need a specialty wrench, or you might have to split the case to get the aircraft style plug setup removed. A real bear. Good luck, I'll be prayin' for you.

I want to thank Carl again for helping me check this beast out. I need to kit the carb and replace the starter rope,it does't need much cleanup. The good,it has a HL carb,the bad,I have to mod a wrench to get the carb off. I have a 30" roller nose bar for it,just have to figure what gauge chain I need. I want to have this saw ready for the Hedgefest GTG in Carthage,Mo. April 6th. It should get alot of attention,as you don't see many of them around.

I finely got my Mall 12A Bow saw done. I had to let it sit for awhile, had a lot of other things going on. Still need to get a set of decals for it. I also have a straight bar and trans for it, has H&S spikes too.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I REALLY like this old saw! Very low serial number. Very solid. It'd be a shame to get it dirty again. Don't worry, we had a lot of fun before puttin' on the Sunday go to meetin' clothes.:laugh:

287233-p3280216-jpg

287234-p3280210-jpg

287235d1364494771-p3280207-jpg

287236-p3280209-jpg

Nice job, looks great.:cheers:

I found this bar in the bunch that I got the other day.

Got any idea what models its supposed to fit. I would call it a 16" and it looks like the mount like the one on the SL-10 I sent Carl a while back, wierd that is its for a 3/8's LP chain. I found a set of bar plates that appear to fit the SL-10 as well.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I found this bar in the bunch that I got the other day.

Got any idea what models its supposed to fit. I would call it a 16" and it looks like the mount like the one on the SL-10 I sent Carl a while back, wierd that is its for a 3/8's LP chain. I found a set of bar plates that appear to fit the SL-10 as well.

Back a spell, I was trying to find out what pattern the SL-10, SL-16 bar mount pattern was but no luck. Acres lists the Homelite type D196, D096 (?) but that is not correct. I made a hardnose from a SEZ fit my 99 cent SL-16 using my drill press and the Dremmel.

3/8" LP would be right for a SL-9 type (46cc).

Mall omg

I help out a neighbor widow with her farm and yesterday she asked if I was interested in any of the old junk in the barn and of course I said yes. Right off I spot an old red beast in the corner and went to rescue it from the junk pile. Well it is a Mall OMG with a 30 some inch bar and looks to be intact. It has spark, it is missing the stop switch and turns over with some effort. No scoring of the piston is evident thrhrough the muffler port. The spark plug was new looking and it looks like the piston nudged the ground electrode tight to the center electrode, no damage to the piston could be seen through the plug hole. Some questions I have are:
1. What is the correct plug
2.Is this saw direct drive or is there a clutch, and if it is direct drive what would cause the sprocket to not turn when pulling over.
3.Any links to manuals and parts lists.
4. The air filter looks to be some type of permanent type and how to clean it.
5. The label says 1/2 pint of oil to each gallon of gasoline, do you mall saw owners run 16:1?
6There are two knobs on the side one looks to be a gas shut off the other one has numbers on it,what does it do?
7. any carb kits available?
Thanks in advance,Ray.

I help out a neighbor widow with her farm and yesterday she asked if I was interested in any of the old junk in the barn and of course I said yes. Right off I spot an old red beast in the corner and went to rescue it from the junk pile. Well it is a Mall OMG with a 30 some inch bar and looks to be intact. It has spark, it is missing the stop switch and turns over with some effort. No scoring of the piston is evident thrhrough the muffler port. The spark plug was new looking and it looks like the piston nudged the ground electrode tight to the center electrode, no damage to the piston could be seen through the plug hole. Some questions I have are:
1. What is the correct plug
2.Is this saw direct drive or is there a clutch, and if it is direct drive what would cause the sprocket to not turn when pulling over.
3.Any links to manuals and parts lists.
4. The air filter looks to be some type of permanent type and how to clean it.
5. The label says 1/2 pint of oil to each gallon of gasoline, do you mall saw owners run 16:1?
6There are two knobs on the side one looks to be a gas shut off the other one has numbers on it,what does it do?
7. any carb kits available?
Thanks in advance,Ray.

I use stihl or husky mix at about 32:1 All gas powered chainsaw have a clutch. This saw is Belt Reduction.

Model Profile: 0MG CHAIN SAW

Thomas,
Probably needs a good points cleaning.
Use a good puller to remove the flywheel.
hate to see any damage to that crank.
Screw the nut on half way before you pull it.

Lee

Back