Remington Chainsaws(including Mall chainsaws)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It might be fun to run at an Antique Farm Equipment fair.......in a controlled & secure environment. That said, I have no idea how somone could run it safely.

Very cool cutting tool :msp_thumbup:.

I've given it some thought: If i can secure full hockey goalie gear, and a good life insurance policy, I could take it to the county fair, and cut block cheese with it. That sounds reasonably safe.:msp_tongue: Apparently this thing was designed to cut stumps up to 10" in diameter. I believe I would have secured the powerhead to the mule that dragged it to the worksite, and operate the throttle with a ten foot pole. Poor mule!:hmm3grin2orange:

I spy the hadle of a Bantam type in the top of the picture. Show us the rest of him.

293681d1367677166-mac-7-55-mall-parts-chief-001-jpg

B.T.W. I think we have had an email conversation a couple months back.

Carl.

That's a pretty unusual piece of Mall equipment you've found there! I've done some pretty risky things in my day, but I can't imagine tearing through the brush with one of these land clearing saws.....

I bought three old Malls from a nice gentleman last fall, a 2MG, Model 7, and Model 11- all three ran with no effort other than adding some fuel. Not unusual saws so much but all are in decent original condition and the stuff that came with it is pretty cool. The owner's father had bought the saws new and saved all the manuals, sales/parts receipts, correspondence with Montgomery Wards, and four bags (labelled for each saw) containing parts, Mall tools, etc. Also shown are Mall boxes with chains that had been sent back to the factory for repair/sharpening. There's some 12A stuff in there too, that saw had gotten away at the family's auction years before. I'm new to adding photos to this site, forgive me if they're not right. Not all that computer literate..

Very nice score. I'll have to control my envious thoughts. Thanks for sharing. Any photos of the saws?

Mmmm a red Remington.....took the Mall parts pics the end of March.....couple pickup loads ago......this would have been a 754 if memory serves me correctly. Sorry, no photos of that one and it's in storage. Not sure about the email either, Carl- did you have some stuff on craigslist? Wife says I have early onset dementia, can't really argue with that. By a minor miracle I've found some shots of the Mall 7 and 11. Someday I'll get my photos more organized.
Mike

Looks like a tort lawyer's dream come true.

293665d1367640893-mall30-jpg

Yup, but the scary part is; all the wear on the blade, indicates that somebody was brave (or crazy) enough to use it A LOT! :msp_ohmy: Pretty sure I won't be putting it into any wood.:laugh:

It might be fun to run at an Antique Farm Equipment fair.......in a controlled & secure environment. That said, I have no idea how somone could run it safely.

Very cool cutting tool :msp_thumbup:.

They made a harness for the operator to wear, it was attached with a short strap to the
back of the motor. If the guy were to trip and fall or the blade got away from him and started to come around at him he would be pulled with the motor.

They made a harness for the operator to wear, it was attached with a short strap to the
back of the motor. If the guy were to trip and fall or the blade got away from him and started to come around at him he would be pulled with the motor.

Well, that is somewhat comforting. With my luck, I'd strap in, bind the blade and be jerked into the flywheel. OOOOOOeeeee! That would be bad. Emasculated by a big old Mall 7 flywheel! Makes one wonder if the blade would be a better way to go.:msp_razz:

Original listing:
Vintage Remington Chainsaw SL 7A 95cc | eBay

Relisted:

Wishful thinking? :dunno:

I'm curious as to what y'all think a Remington SL-7A might be worth.

The PL-7 I have bid up over 2 Bens. But, it was the first 95cc Remy runner on evilbay in over two years. Two weeks later another shows up and goes for 130. Now this BoZo has an SL with a reserve. Judging from his first try the reserve was around 150(ish). No Sale. Now he has it listed at a starting bid near what he wants out of it.

Original listing:

Relisted:

Wishful thinking? :dunno:

I'm curious as to what y'all think a Remington SL-7A might be worth.

The PL-7 I have bid up over 2 Bens. But, it was the first 95cc Remy runner on evilbay in over two years. Two weeks later another shows up and goes for 130. Now this BoZo has an SL with a reserve. Judging from his first try the reserve was around 150(ish). No Sale. Now he has it listed at a starting bid near what he wants out of it.

Carl, I was thinking that $125.00 wouldn't be a bad price............if the condition of the saw actually matches the seller's description. I wonder what much $$ a running Super 990 would bring (no, I don't have one)?

I wonder what much $$ a running Super 990 would bring (no, I don't have one)?

A running Super 990 would likely bring, what the uninitiated might think to be, a ridiculous price.:jawdrop:I have first hand knowledge of such offers.:msp_wink:

Last edited:
The SL-7A that was on ebay ....

I was the surprised high bidder .. It should arrive on Monday .... We shall see what it is then.... One thing is for sure it will need an a/c cover ... Any ideas guys ... this is my first Remmy .... I would Like to put it back together right see it work and decide if I like it better then the other large saws I seem to have accumulated and something will have to go .... thanks , Ralph

I was the surprised high bidder .. It should arrive on Monday .... We shall see what it is then.... One thing is for sure it will need an a/c cover ... Any ideas guys ... this is my first Remmy .... I would Like to put it back together right see it work and decide if I like it better then the other large saws I seem to have accumulated and something will have to go .... thanks , Ralph

You make a great score.

Yup, when I looked at that one I figured out right away why it ran a little rich. The filter cover covered the filter and it had almost no where to get air.:dizzy:

Edit: Geezer is F.OS.!

Checked this morning and the PL-7 air filter cover is 1 1/8" longer than all the rest!

Last edited:

Congrats :msp_thumbup:! There were at least two AS members wanting the SL-7; I know for a fact one was too broke to buy it ;).

Carl, one of these days I'm going to make sure that at least some of your generosity is repaid.

Thanks .. The others looked the same but could have been in miniature ... I didn't have any perspective ... How much for the cover ? And yea makes since why it wont rev and runs rich ... Its gotta breathe ...

I am disappointed the cover I have won't fit.

I looked at Chainsawer (site sponser) and he has none listed. Shoot him an email as he almost never updates his pages.

Post your needs on the 'Old Magnesium Swap Meet' and the regular 'Swap Meet' thread in the stickies.

Also haunt evilbay in the chainsaw parts and acc..

Last resort is to use duct tape just so you can run him a little in some wood.

attachment.php

I looked at Chainsawer (site sponser) and he has none listed. Shoot him an email as he almost never updates his pages.

Post your needs on the 'Old Magnesium Swap Meet' and the regular 'Swap Meet' thread in the stickies.

attachment.php

Either way I appreciate the effort ... there are a few SL saws on ebay cheap .... might be worth it for the cover then part the rest out ...
I'm going to hell for parting out whole saws ... lol

attachment.php

Its ok .. I appreciate the effort ... No doubt I am going to hell for parting out perfectly good saws ... but I suppose I will buy one off ebay and use the cover then.... well time to part it out .. lol

oops ... I need to pay better attention...

The second time I hit send I caught the approval message ....

I got the saw ... its nice ... I would say very low usage the sprocket just barely has an impression in it and the paint is still mostly on the stop switch ... and of course removing the previously mentioned a/c cover didn't help it run better ... I suspect it is a flooding carb .. Might get to play with it by the weekend ... I wouldn't want to pull on it without the compression release for very long ... and I need to pull the starter cover and see why it slips when it wants to ... bar has zero wear and the 404 chain is like new ... hell the chain guide plates aren't even scratched... so we shall see so far I think I did ok , Ralph

...I got the saw ... its nice ... ... so we shall see so far I think I did ok , Ralph

In my limited experience the paint on Remington saws will peel & flake if you look at them the wrong way :bang:, but that's something I've learned to live with. It strikes me as kind of odd since at one time DuPont made very durable automotive paint. Many years ago one of my history teachers told us that in the 1950s there was a 'monoply' lawsuit involving DuPont and GM; I don't know the details.

Latest posts

Back