Remington SL-55A oiler fix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pioneer fan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
276409d1359510605t-check-valve-jpg

I am posting this to hopefully help others, who have a remington SL-55a, or similar saw. The saw pictured Belongs to another member here, and has the classic "It runs good, just smokes like crazy" complaint.

As seen in this pic, the check valve is located inside the tank, and requires a fair bit of disassembly to get to.

Last edited:
[video=youtube_share;rhYwNh46CGA]http://youtu.be/rhYwNh46CGA[/video]

Here is a video i shot to help explain the procedure . Sorry about the shaky camera, I was using one hand to hold camera, while using the other to actually show what to do...lol

View attachment 276416

A better shot of the manual oil pump. the fitting circled is the one that is removed in order to disable the trigger lock. Only the ball is left out, everything else goes back in.

This procedure is COMPLETELY reversible, so that the auto oiler can be made functional again, if parts are located. The ownwer of this saw, is well accustomed to manual only saws, so it won't be any issue....lol

Last edited:
Thanks for the video, I've seen quite a few Remington saws that ran good but were sucking bar oil and smoking like freight trains. That must be a common problem with them.

Seems to be a fairly common issue. There is a fix that involves modding a Lombard check valve, but i do not know if that applies to this "internal" check valve, or the "external" style, like on a PL-5A.

Good job bud!:rock:

Like you mentioned, the PL-4, SL-4 and PL-5 have the check in an elbow on the outside of the oil tank. They are repairable using the Lombard check and a Homie or Poulan duckbill. Be prepared to tinker with tubeing size.

The SL-11A has the same setup as the one in the video. And, untill viewing this thread, I thought my Wards/SL-11 has had it removed.

The PL-7A also has the check outside the tank.

Good job bud!:rock:

Like you mentioned, the PL-4, SL-4 and PL-5 have the check in an elbow on the outside of the oil tank. They are repairable using the Lombard check and a Homie or Poulan duckbill. Be prepared to tinker with tubeing size.

The SL-11A has the same setup as the one in the video. And, untill viewing this thread, I thought my Wards/SL-11 has had it removed.

The PL-7A also has the check outside the tank.

Cool, thanks for clearing up which ones use the Lombard valve. Guess those would be the "external" type.

Ugh! SL-16A has the same setup.

Recieved a SL-16A today from an evilbay buy. Cleaned him and got him fired up only to discover he makes a good misqueto fogger.

From the SL-10A IPL I found they have the check valve in the wall between the fuel and oil tanks also.

Now I can pull the flywheel................................................Again!

Recieved a SL-16A today from an evilbay buy. Cleaned him and got him fired up only to discover he makes a good misqueto fogger.

From the SL-10A IPL I found they have the check valve in the wall between the fuel and oil tanks also.

Now I can pull the flywheel................................................Again!

And split the tank...lol Stock up on 1/8" pipe plugs...and motoseal

The only thing that really kills you on that is the "input" thread size. There has got to be something out there that will work. I mean, 1/8" pipe is is fairly common thread size. The search continues....lol

My thought is to modify an 1/8" male pipe x 1/8" tube adaptor with a small steel ball and spring if I have the room.

Too cold in the garage today to mess with him.

I think a Poulan duckbill will fix it.

Got him apart and pried the screen out to find the goo remains of a 'Poulan looking' duckbill. A Homie duckbill is just a bit fat too fit in the hole comfortably.

Trouble is, I have none of the Poulan type on hand untill I visit Sears Monday.

Let me know what you find there. If possible, post up a pic of the valve and the fix, so I can see if the same would apply to this saw. Now that I know exactly where the check valve is, it actually is a pretty easy fix...lol

@67L36Driver Just got a wards pl55a today curious to see what works to fix the oiler. I have a PL7A I had to use poulan duckbill and some stacked orings to hold the duckbill in place. I already smoked one, what a pain, I swear don't get below 3/8 of a tank of bar oil or that valve will be smoked lol. The threads are definitely weird, I did block it off on the PL7A to try with some different pipe plugs and I think a set screw. Do you know if pl-55 has a 3 ring piston?

Latest posts

Back