Remington SL-9

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kelsey S

Kelsey S

ArboristSite Lurker
New to the site. I got my dads old Powerlite Remington SL-9 when he passed away. I’d like to get it cleaned up and use it now and then for sentimental reasons.

I put fresh fuel in it. But it wouldn’t start. It was getting fire. And I got it to sputter on starting fluid. I got it to run twice about for 30 seconds each time after putting a little full directly in the carb. It ran good. And sounded great. I had forgotten that distinct sound. It seems like it’s just not getting fuel. Any suggestions on troubleshooting it further would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15

Okie

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I ran one of those as a trim saw for few years.
You can use the newer oils and do a 50:1 mix instead of the 16:1 or 32:1 mix.
Some of them will really smoke even at 50:1 because they will burn little bit of bar oil even with a new check valve. they use a steel ball check pulse check valve in the bottom of the oil tank. If it's stuck they will really smoke big time, because it will suck bar oil into the crankcase.
Mine is now in storage because my son left it in a big tool box and water got inside the tool box and saw and now has low compression. and won't start. Cylinder rusted very bad. Those saws have several names, such as John Deere plus others.
Parts might be little hard to find. Few parts on flea bay.
You need to use 50:1 oil mix when priming.
You might check the compression (with a proper gauge) and see if it's at least 100. (so as to make sure you are not whipping on a dead horse) Anything less than 100 is not good.

Kelsey S

Kelsey S

ArboristSite Lurker
Sorry I am not trying to be a pest. I’m brand new to threads and posting to them. I found the beg for manuals thread but I couldn’t figure out how to post. Do I have to purchase a “stickie”? Whatever the hell that is.

Kelsey S

Kelsey S

ArboristSite Lurker
I ran one of those as a trim saw for few years.
You can use the newer oils and do a 50:1 mix instead of the 16:1 or 32:1 mix.
Some of them will really smoke even at 50:1 because they will burn little bit of bar oil even with a new check valve. they use a steel ball check pulse check valve in the bottom of the oil tank. If it's stuck they will really smoke big time, because it will suck bar oil into the crankcase.
Mine is now in storage because my son left it in a big tool box and water got inside the tool box and saw and now has low compression. and won't start. Cylinder rusted very bad. Those saws have several names, such as John Deere plus others.
Parts might be little hard to find. Few parts on flea bay.
You need to use 50:1 oil mix when priming.
You might check the compression (with a proper gauge) and see if it's at least 100. (so as to make sure you are not whipping on a dead horse) Anything less than 100 is not good.
Yeah I saw the ball check but wasn’t sure what it was for. It only smoked a little at idle with 16:1. Too bad about your saw. I just want to get it running again for old time sake.

farmer steve

farmer steve

outstanding in my field, 5150
. AS Supporting Member.
Sorry I am not trying to be a pest. I’m brand new to threads and posting to them. I found the beg for manuals thread but I couldn’t figure out how to post. Do I have to purchase a “stickie”? Whatever the hell that is.
No problem Kelsey. We'll get you hooked up.
Just go to the last post in the thread and post what you need . Since they upgraded the site a month go it's harder to navigate on a cell phone. IMO.

ray benson
Check your inbox for the ipl, service manual and operators manual.

Timing pulleyguy

Timing pulleyguy

ArboristSite Lurker
Check your inbox for the ipl, service manual and operators manual.
Hi Guys...I have a similar issue on my original SL9 saw...can you hook me up with those service manuals? I can't figure out how to fix this steel ball valve in the tank? Mine is leaking bar oil badly into the cylinder.....and smoking terribly.. I know this is an old file...hoping you are still out there...

Okie

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Hi Guys...I have a similar issue on my original SL9 saw...can you hook me up with those service manuals? I can't figure out how to fix this steel ball valve in the tank? Mine is leaking bar oil badly into the cylinder.....and smoking terribly.. I know this is an old file...hoping you are still out there...
Did you try sending Ray Benson a PM?

You will get more 2nd opinions if you will start a new thread.
I just happened to be watching this thread due to me having and being into the check valve area few years ago on my SL9. I put a new check valve in mine due to excessive bar oil smoke (it was bad checking) and the saw still would burn some bar oil but would run and cut ok. Smoke would increase when regular thick bar oil added to the tank.
Gaskets might be hard to find now days.

Timing pulleyguy

Timing pulleyguy

ArboristSite Lurker
Did you try sending Ray Benson a PM?

You will get more 2nd opinions if you will start a new thread.
I just happened to be watching this thread due to me having and being into the check valve area few years ago on my SL9. I put a new check valve in mine due to excessive bar oil smoke (it was bad checking) and the saw still would burn some bar oil but would run and cut ok. Smoke would increase when regular thick bar oil added to the tank.
Gaskets might be hard to find now days.
I think I have...thanks Okie...just stuck on "How to Fix the steel ball valve:..any help is appreciated..old family saw...

ray benson
Check your inbox

Timing pulleyguy

Timing pulleyguy

ArboristSite Lurker
I think I have...thanks Okie...just stuck on "How to Fix the steel ball valve:..any help is appreciated..old family saw...
Got all the info from Ray just now (Servie manuals, etc)...I was way off on my valve...I have two spots to check now...in the oil line and the head...guess they had an earlier model & a later model and changed the vlave...I now have some tear aprt work to do again...anyother input is more than welcome on this repair, as I think you said Okie, parts are very hard to come by when they are that old. (58 year old saw)..

Latest posts