Remove spray paint off tree!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I moved into an old house a few months back, at the time I noticed the word EXIT spray painted on a tree and didn't think too much of it. Anyway, I've since found out that our one large living room was used as a religious meeting place and that cars were parked all over the yard. A number of trees have EXIT and arrows, spray painted on them. How on earth can I remove the red paint without damaging the trees. Most of the trees are white oaks.

Thanks
Ian

I never heard of any thing that would take paint off of trees without harming the tree itself. What ever you do don't peel the bark off the tree this causes serious wounds. Mabey you could cover it with paint that is less noticable.
Smith

I was thinking the same, a flat latex that has a similar shade of gray maybe.

I would be more concerned with soil compaction and root problems though.

Try to find someone in your area with an Air-Spade so they can do pnumatic radial trenching and soil amendments.

A little tree biology will help here.
Tree bark is shed as the tree grows(with the possible exception of smooth barked trees), and new bark is added from below the tree's surface. This occurs at the cambium layer, just below the bark.
If you wait, the paint will come off with the bark as it falls away, after about ten years. If you are in a hurry, gently rub the painted area with a wire brush to remove the paint. Now you will have this spot that is lighter than the surrounding bark, dang! But don't fret, in a few short weeks, the sun will fade it to the same color as the rest of the bark. This will happen sooner in direct sunlight.
Now all the tre huggers will say, " Maas, that idiot, told everyone to rub there trees with a wire brush!"
Remember, rub very lightly, and only in the area where there is paint, and don't rub all the way down to living tissue.

I'd say it depends on the tree myself. If its a thick barked toughie , I'd be out there with a reasonably stiff brush or wheel on my cordless drill, if its thin skinned however, you'll do more damage than the paint ever did. I'd actually be more concerned about the past parking myself, since if they used the area often for many cars, I'd bet its nicely compacted now & an aeration would'nt hurt.

thank you all, the repaint was my last option, I think I'll try a light wire brush rubbing first though.

thanks
Ian

This question came up a while ago on one of the other "unmentionable" forums. Someone suggested finding a janitorial supply company and seeing what they have for paint removers. With a little label reading and a look at their Material Data Safety Sheets you should be able to find a non-toxic remover. One of the citrus cleaners like Fast Orange may have a good result. With some elbow grease you should be able to get most of the stuff out ot the crevices. Try a pressure washer with attention to the regulater. Test the pressure on some firewood first. Painting over paint looks just like that: paint over paint. Unless you have an artistic ability to blend paints it might be more noticeable.

Tom

Back