remove woodruff key carcass from flywheel?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old CB

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
The nut securing the flywheel to the crank in my 371 spun off and the woodruff key got demolished. The key slot in the crank is clean, but the part of the key in the flywheel is stuck tight--the inner dia. of the flywheel looks like a smooth bore (although I can see the key). Is there a way to remove that bit, or do I have to replace key AND flywheel?

Also, does anyone have specs for that key? Could I go to the hardware store instead of having to go one town over to the Husky dealer?

the 371 flywheel has the key integrated into the flywheel so the spot your seeing is just where it sheared off the main casting. can still be used. just gotta eyeball it the best you can and crank the nut down. flywheels are expensive.

I know that some of the Stihl homeowner type saws have the key built into the flywheel and if it's sheared there's not much you can do about it other than mark it and mark the corresponding spot on the crank and try to bolt them together. Many of the Poulan saws have the built in key also. I assumed a 371 was more of a pro type saw and didn't have that setup.

Westcoaster: Yeah, looking at the remains it's a headscratcher. Usually you see a slot all the way through, and then the corresponding part, the crank, has the half-moon bed for the key. But this one looks odd. I know it would make sense if I could see the empty space where the sheared off key now resides.

A. Palmer: I don't believe the key is integral to the flywheel, but I dunno. The first reply here from A1ooHVA said I'd need to replace, so I found a used one on ebay and pulled the trigger. It comes w/ the key, so I expect I'll see it better.

Thanks to all who replied.

You can always keep the old one to experiment on. Sometimes they shear more than one key so you might keep a spare. I used to have a big Echo saw that sheared quite a few keys because it had a huge flywheel. I learned to tighten the nut pretty tight on it..

I tried the ice pick. It just poked holes in the key. Not saying that it can't be dug out, but I doubt I'll get it.

Got the part coming.
You have to put the tip of the ice pick in the crack on the end of the key and tap the end of the ice pick with a small hammer to intice it to come out. At least that's how I do it.

looking at ipl's for a 272 and a 371, you can see that the 371 lacks a woodruff key, and that the key must be cast in the flywheel like most modern husky saws. the ipl to look at is the crankshaft, not the flywheel:

272, the 70cc saw just before the 371, note part # 735 88 06-00:

iplimage.php

371, note the lack of woodruff key:

iplimage.php

you should be able to clean the keyway in the crankshaft with a sharp stylus, like an ice pick. the sheared-off material should be soft aluminium, the shaft hard carbon steel.

Back