Removing and shaving Limiters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl Rules

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have heard a lot of talk about this and not been able to find a thread on how to do this with pics or a video. For a newbie to working on saws like me a tread on this could be very useful to newbies like myself.:msp_biggrin:

Don't even waste your time trying to remove them. Just shave off the ears with a sharp utility knife. Don't try to cut them off in one cut, just start slicing off pieces until they're gone. It's not as complicated as you are making it out to be.

Last edited:
No single one procedure works for every saw, some are more difficult than others. If i had to do it all over again, i'd get a tach first, check my saw before fooling with limiters at all. My Echo CS 530 was the easiest to remove. I marked everything before starting, removed them with a drywall screw, put carb screws back to orientation marks. Tach arrived a few days later and upon checking, found saw to be 400 rpms below max rpm., just right for a new saw. Some times trimming ears is easier than removing whole limiter cap.

Last edited:
thanks so much for all the great! This is the best site.:rock: I joined an ATV forum to try to get answers and they are lucky to have 5 people on it at any given time.:angry:

Don't even waste your time trying to remove them. Just shave off the ears with a sharp utility knife. Don't try to cut them off in one cut, just start slicing off pieces until they're gone. It's not as complicated as you are making it out to be.

What!! "It's not as complicated as you are making it out to be" Quote" are'nt you the same guy who posted a thread about how hard it was for you to remove the caps on your 372?? This fella is only looking for advice.:msp_wink:

X-acto knife heated up with a propane torch.

Shave the little limit tabs down to the nubbins. Done.

Hint.
If you use Ether to degrease the carb area, blow it off real well with the compressor and wait 20min. before using the heated up X-acto knife.
In case that isn't enough, RC cola and ice cubes will extinguish flames nicely.Just sayin'.:msp_wink:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

just grab them with needle nose pliers and yank them out like a couple bad teeth and throw them away, thats where all mine are the trash:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

What!! "It's not as complicated as you are making it out to be" Quote" are'nt you the same guy who posted a thread about how hard it was for you to remove the caps on your 372?? This fella is only looking for advice.:msp_wink:

Yeah, and he got plenty.

The 372 limiter caps are a completely different beast. They will not come off with a drywall screw or even think about pulling off. The plastic caps basically have to be destroyed to get off.

I have had pretty good luck with a deck screw and needle nose. Gut the muffler and set H/L at 1 1/2 out to start. Usually gets me close and just fine tune from there.

Yeah, and he got plenty.

The 372 limiter caps are a completely different beast. They will not come off with a drywall screw or even think about pulling off. The plastic caps basically have to be destroyed to get off.

Nothing wrong with plenty of good advice, the more the merry.

I've got a 2165, and 365 which have the same style limit caps as what's on your 372, Get a good pair of linemans pliers and grab them good and give a yank, the plastic cap's will pull right off, then all you have to do is pry the barbed metal clip off with a small flat blade screwdriver. I see you cut the adjustment screw off at the base, so you could use the splined Husqvarna adjustment tool, good Idea.

I've got a 2165, and 365 which have the same style limit caps as what's on your 372, Get a good pair of linemans pliers and grab them good and give a yank, the plastic cap's will pull right off, then all you have to do is pry the barbed metal clip off with a small flat blade screwdriver. I see you cut the adjustment screw off at the base, so you could use the splined Husqvarna adjustment tool, good Idea.

Yes sir, works a treat. One thing i didn't mention is that the rubber boot on the outside of the saw needs to be opened up a bit so that the barrel of the splined tool will fit thru the holes.

X-acto knife heated up with a propane torch.

Shave the little limit tabs down to the nubbins. Done.

Hint.
If you use Ether to degrease the carb area
, blow it off real well with the compressor and wait 20min. before using the heated up X-acto knife.
In case that isn't enough, RC cola and ice cubes will extinguish flames nicely.Just sayin'.:msp_wink:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

How'd You know????? you got any eyebrows Left????

Crrrrispy!!!!!

Sounds really safe to me???? Just Sayin!!!!

Where??? Did I miss something??? I dont see any pics posted in this thread,,, or am I just trippin without any luggage????:msp_w00t:

Back