Removing Logs from Trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Splitter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok, Here is my problem I'm having and hoping all you guys can give my your two cents. I found a gentlemen that will see me firewood logs at a very reasonable cost. They will be delivered on a 26' long gooseneck trailer with 4' high side boards and 102" wide. No logs will be exceeding 12" Diameter. His trailer does not have a hoist and i do not have a bob cat or skid steer of any sorts. How can I unload these at my place... My idea which i spoke to him about cut the 12" diamter logs down to 5' so me and someone else could heave them off the trailer. and the 6" diameter can leave them like 10 foot. Will this work and also he estimates about 6 cords will be on there stacked tight. I am up for any ideas i can not afford a bobcat or equipment right now. Can i pull them off with my vehicle......I dont know im just throwing ideas out please help?

I'd try a cable noose or a chain and pull them off with a truck or tractor, a 1/2" cable will be easier to get around them. A decent sized pry bar won't hurt, you may need to jockey them around to get the cable on.

Have him take one of the sides off, cut a couple poles about 4' and lean them up against the side of the trailer like a ramp (keeps logs from rolling under the trailer). Then just roll the logs off, just stay out of the way and go slow dont try to do more than 1 at a time. I unload my trailer this way.

I'd try a cable noose or a chain and pull them off with a truck or tractor, a 1/2" cable will be easier to get around them. A decent sized pry bar won't hurt, you may need to jockey them around to get the cable on.

That's pretty much how we do it. We've unloaded 40+ inch diameter by 16' logs, either by securing them to a standing trunk, or pulling them off with another truck. Don't "yank" them, you'll break something. Just a gentle continuous pull. We use a chain for the big ones, and a tow strap for the smaller stuff. A cant dog is handy if you have one.

Rent a skid steer for the day and use it to pull the logs off and the use them to move around the yard to buck them up and move rounds around I would get a root rake and a set of forks.

Rent a skid steer for the day and use it to pull the logs off and the use them to move around the yard to buck them up and move rounds around I would get a root rake and a set of forks.

Probably not too practical unless he gets all of them the same day. I don't know what it costs to rent a skid, but it can't be cheap.

True Mac but I would not want to be bucking things up into five foot lengths and then heaving them over the side like the OP talks about. Just got to be a easier way I know if it was my goose neck I would not want some one up there bucking logs or hooking a chain and ripping them off and damaging my trailer but if he is cool with that then roll with it.

Last edited:
True Mac but I would not want to bucking things up into five foot lengths and then heaving them over the side like the OP talks about. Just got to be a easier way I know if it was my goose neck I would not want some one up there bucking logs or hooking a chain and ripping them off and damaging my trailer but if he is cool with that then roll with it.

We use a heavy duty flat bed car hauler. Been yankin' 'em off there for a long time, heavy ones, 16' or more. Haven't damaged the trailer yet. We drag them on to load it too. Uncouple the trailer, chock the wheels, lay down a section of roller conveyor, and pull them on with the truck. I think he was asking that they be delivered in 5' lengths so he could manually unload them. This one will come off in one piece.

attachment.php

i agree with the chain/choker/strap around the logs and attached to a trunk and have the guy pull away, repeat untill all are off.

Believe me I have done it many times just not always my favorite way of doing it but if its the only option then go with it.

Have him take one of the sides off, cut a couple poles about 4' and lean them up against the side of the trailer like a ramp (keeps logs from rolling under the trailer). Then just roll the logs off, just stay out of the way and go slow dont try to do more than 1 at a time. I unload my trailer this way.

All I can say is; Be careful, and try to refrain from telling other people (especially ones you don't know personally) to do it this way. I did this for years....until one day.....I rolled a nice Aspen off, and as it started it dislodged a funny little Doug Fir top. It was 16' long, about 12" on the big end, and about 4" on the small end. The big end went first turning the little log right toward me.
I learned a lot of things that day.
1. You can't (no mater how fast you think you are) outrun a log coming off the side of a trailer.
2. When said log catches you (even a little bitty one), it hurt's like hell for a long, long time.
3. A 4" top will shatter your left knee and never veer off corse.
4. Being careful, going slow, and trying not to do more than 1 at a time is all for naught, if a second stick gets dislodged.
5. A dump trailer is only a fraction of the cost of a shattered knee.
I could go on and on, but you get the gist. :cheers:

Andy

Believe me I have done it many times just not always my favorite way of doing it but if its the only option then go with it.

No problem. I was just mentioning that it can be done, and without tearing up your equipment. I've seen a few unloaded over the side. The outcome did not turn out well for the trailer owner.

Probably not too practical unless he gets all of them the same day. I don't know what it costs to rent a skid, but it can't be cheap.

Last time I rented a small machine it was 240 for the day. That was about 3 years ago. So I agree Mac I dont think its practical either. Put to much money into it he prob. could buy the wood split.

As with all advice given on the net, the person doing the work has to use his judgment. Check my avatar.

OP, how far does this guy have to haul the wood? If it's not too far, perhaps small loads may make it easier to unload. Just me thinking outload again.

call the guy up before he loads the trailer and talk it over with him. maybe you can convince him to lay a chain or two under the logs so you can pull them off all in a nice rolling motion. thats what i would do if it were me delivering the logs. sure beats trying to get a chain under them once they are already loaded.

a few pics may help spark ideas

Walnut-Logs-Loaded-By-Hand.jpg

this one shows them loading logs in the old days. same idea for unloading just let em flop
10008-P.%20Loading%20Logging%20Sleigh.jpg

here is a good one of a guy using a tractor and skidding tongs to unload
img_3600.jpg

We use a heavy duty flat bed car hauler. Been yankin' 'em off there for a long time, heavy ones, 16' or more. Haven't damaged the trailer yet. We drag them on to load it too. Uncouple the trailer, chock the wheels, lay down a section of roller conveyor, and pull them on with the truck. I think he was asking that they be delivered in 5' lengths so he could manually unload them. This one will come off in one piece.

attachment.php
You are amazing Mac...humble too, that's kinda rare especially on here!:rock:

Latest posts

Back