Log Trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djg james

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
From time to time I need a fix and have a small log milled into lumber. I am limited by the size of my small 5 x 8 single axle trailer. I don't like putting more than 1000# on it for fear of the frame bending.
I have access to a 4 x 6 single axle trailer that I could strip down and convert into a log trailer. It has a nice heavy axle on it. But recently I ran onto this trashed hay wagon. For size comparison, it's 88" between axles and 60" between wheels. Not a big trailer, but heavy duty axles. The front axle has been trashed so I'd cut the center pipe off just after the front axle supports. This would leave a 6 foot tongue on the rear axle.

Anyone out there have any idea how much weight could be put on a hay wagon of this size? I don't no anything about farm equipment, so I don't know about availability of bearings and tires. The tires are 6 ply 6.50 x 16. I'll look up the weight rating on these tires. Before I spend any time on this idea I need to know if it can handle any weight.
IMG_0916.jpgIMG_0917.jpg

Awesome. Do it.
I actually have the same thing going on but mine will be more of a log arch trailer. Just bought a piece of junk for $50. Soon I’ll tear it apart and weld it all back together the way I want. But I won’t hijack your thread.
No, No! By all means give me ideas. No offense taken.

here is what I bought:

View attachment 967082

here is what I want. Wrap a chain around the log and hook it onto the low end of the top bar. As you drive off, the chain will slide up the bar, lifting that end of the log, dragging the other end on the ground.
View attachment 967081
Looks like your closer to your goal than I am. More frame than the one I might get. I've always thought about looking around for one of those electrical spool trailers. Pretty much ready made log arch. I've been looking around for tires. Only one was visible and it was a 6.50 x 16. Expensive.

I buy used car or truck tires for my wagons. As you can see I load them pretty good, that is ash. Uncle, I prefer the winch instead of a sliding pipe for the arch. You can't back up very easily with the pipe style. You end up chaining it anyway so lose the braking advantage that the slide gives you.

Attachments

• IMG_20170808_181300.jpg
    IMG_20170808_181300.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20170808_181307.jpg
    IMG_20170808_181307.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 20200813_195023.jpg
    20200813_195023.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 20201205_171520.jpg
    20201205_171520.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
I buy used car or truck tires for my wagons. As you can see I load them pretty good, that is ash. Uncle, I prefer the winch instead of a sliding pipe for the arch. You can't back up very easily with the pipe style. You end up chaining it anyway so lose the braking advantage that the slide gives you.
I wish I saw this wagon before they trashed it with the heavy equipment. I would have preferred to have a four wheel wagon than a 2 wheel trailer.

I wonder what kind of tongue weight I could expect with a trailer like I'm proposing? I was hoping to haul a log around 2000# if my calculations are right.

I wonder what kind of tongue weight I could expect with a trailer like I'm proposing? I was hoping to haul a log around 2000# if my calculations are right.
I would look a Craigslist's and facebook for old wagons or running gears. In my area you can buy a old wagon running gear or a old barge wagon with run able tires for a couple hundred dollars and make a log trailer out of it. Hauling a couple thousand pounds on one of them would be no problem.

I would look a Craigslist's and facebook for old wagons or running gears. In my area you can buy a old wagon running gear or a old barge wagon with run able tires for a couple hundred dollars and make a log trailer out of it. Hauling a couple thousand pounds on one of them would be no problem.
I'm going to show my ignorance about farming equipment, but what's the difference between wagons and running gears? This one I found would have been perfect, if I had gotten to it before they threw it on the pile, since it was only 8' long.

running gear is what is under the "wagon". Being from IL searching on FB or craigslist should yield some results. Around here running gear in decent shape is $300-500.
Thanks. Are they drive-able on roads. My town use to be an agricultural area but most of the farms have been sold to build houses for those emigrating from St. Louis. So the roads are either country roads or 55 mph roads. I wouldn't be taking in on interstates. I'd also plan on only going 45 mph. Are wagons hard to control with the swivel tongue? I imagine backing up is out?

I imagine backing up is out?
No backing up is not out. Just takes a little practice. In my life I have seen two guys that could back up two hooked together and yes it wasn't me. Back when we still hauled a lot of grain with two gravity box wagons behind a tractor I could back them up for a little bit but not very far.

Uncle, the advantage of a sliding pipe style is that if you are going down a steep hill you can brake and the log will drop to the ground and slow you down. I have no hills so no advantage to me. I also pull with a Steiner and not a 4 wheeler so much heavier. Only an idiot would be able to tip a Steiner. ( photo evidence of idiot included in thread for reference) I like the winch so I can lift it up then I put a ratchet strap on the log and ratchet it tight to the top bar. There are some pictures of my arch here. https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/steiner-logging.256905/

In my neighborhood John Deere running gears can fetch 900-1000 and they will trail straight down the road At 45 mph. Some of the other brands don’t trail so well and will whiplash at 35 or less. You can back them up pretty easily with tractor but not so with pickup because you can’t see where the front wheels are headed as easily.

Latest posts

Back