Bent axle on 5x10 trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
etrailer.com
They offered a brake controller that I needed,, WAY cheaper than Amazon.
Also check Amazon, and eBay,,
That ENTIRE NEW trailer only cost $450 four years ago,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Northern keeps the axles in their stores,
I never saw a utility trailer axle at Northern that was over $100,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Prices are up, but 4.5X seems a little steep,,,,,,,,,,
Good luck with customer service if you have an issue with what you order from etrailer. I have a story on request. Ask me how I know.

If the trailer does not have brakes, you can not (in most states) legally haul over a ton,, anyways.
Are you gonna put brakes on the trailer, and a controller on your truck?
If not, don't bother with a heavier axle.

Also, besides brakes, you need heavier springs,,

Heck, convert it to a dual axle., I never owned a single axle after the first time I towed a two axle trailer.
(I do have single axle yard carts)

Good luck with customer service if you have an issue with what you order from etrailer. I have a story on request. Ask me how I know.
So I have to ask. Where would you shop for a new axle if you were to do it again?

So I have to ask. Where would you shop for a new axle if you were to do it again?

c11d39233940adb8b971303b37fc831a.jpg

Retired guy from SE Manitoba

I saw a guy on Youtube straighten an axle with a hydraulic pipe bender. I plan to try that with a 3500# axle I bent when I get a chance.

Unless you know what you’re doing and to get the correct “bend” back in the axle, I would replace it. Back in 2019 I paid 380 bucks CDN for an Lippert 3500 lb c/w brakes for my camper. I also contacted a automotive frame repair shop. It was going to be about 600 with no guarantee it will be 100%. In 2020 I bought a cargo trailer and installed the trailer brakes from the bent axle on it. That’s the beauty of these. Both Lippert and Dexter use the same backing plate bolt pattern. Of course your trailer axle has the have that brake mounting flange on it. Some older axles don’t.

Call it a lesson learned and get a bigger trailer.
Would love to get a bigger trailer but I live in a neighborhood with an HOA and have to park it inside my garage at night. 5x10 is easiest to back in. I could probably squeeze a 6x12 in there and I would love to find a used one with double axles. Even if I find what I'm looking for I still need to fix the 5x10 I've got to be able to sell it in good faith...

Unless you know what you’re doing and to get the correct “bend” back in the axle, I would replace it. Back in 2019 I paid 380 bucks CDN for an Lippert 3500 lb c/w brakes for my camper. I also contacted a automotive frame repair shop. It was going to be about 600 with no guarantee it will be 100%. In 2020 I bought a cargo trailer and installed the trailer brakes from the bent axle on it. That’s the beauty of these. Both Lippert and Dexter use the same backing plate bolt pattern. Of course your trailer axle has the have that brake mounting flange on it. Some older axles don’t.

Thanks Catman. Yeah, my 5x10 has brakes. Good idea about reusing them on a new axle. I gotta find a solution quick - I use that trailer a lot.

So I've managed to bend the axle on my small trailer. I use it to carry wood, both as logs and as firewood. My question is this...Am I able to loosen the two U bolts on each side, rotate the axle with the bend up and then retighten the bolts? Any chance this could work? Thanks, Steve.
Of course not. Do you have the tools? Than you have the ability to remove, and toss away, the now forever distorted, out of square axle assembly. The bearings will glow Orange , and you will be going thru the exercise of, buying another pair of matching tires, paying to have them mounted and balanced, only to go thru that again. Of course, I would be remise if I didn't remind you, that you will be towing something that could kill someone.

Than theres this. IF thats some old farm trailer that gets dragged around the property, than YES. Make whatever repair you see fit.Drag it in the barn, flip it over, and you are off to the races. Around here, we cut off the cab of a free junk pick-up, and make it into a wood trailer. Takes a day. Load size = unlimited.

I'm afraid that may my be the undoing of rotating the axle plan - I'll check tomorrow but I have a strong feeling the spring seats are welded to the trailer.
I have yet to see a trailer axle that didn't have welded spring seats. Wouldn't really serve their purpose very well if they weren't.
I was told it's a 3500 lb axle. Is there any sense in putting a stronger axle on it? Say 5000 lb?
That depends how sturdy the trailer is built. If it'll hold the weight, now is a good time for an axle upgrade. If it's lightly built, there's no point.

How bad is the bend? I have used a length of H-beam, 2 chains and a jack to straighten the axel on a trailer. Get the whole trailer off the ground so you can rotate the wheels. Bolt a straight 2 - 3' length of angle iron to each hub. Measure the distance between them front and back, then rotate hubs 90 degrees and measure again top and bottom. Bend until all 4 distances are the same. Simple, cheap, but takes a bit of work.

I would start with google and compare prices and options then start calling locally. There are a lot of trailer places that sell parts in my area so I would shop and compare there prices. I ordered a set of 4 wheels and tires for one of my trailers from etrailer and they sent the wrong bolt pattern. They wanted $150 to restock plus I had to pay shipping. I called my credit card co. and explained what happened and refused the charges. etrailer call 2 hours later and said they would give a full refund and pay for return shipping. It wasn't till the credit card co. got involved did etrailer do what they should have done in the beginning. etrailer treated me very rudely and didn't even try to correct there mistake. It was only when my credit card refused to pay that they changed there tune.

Google replacement trailer axle for suppliers. For me I found a supplier for a Lippert 3500lb trailer axle for my camper. A 1/4 of the price from a dealer. You will need to know capacity, probably 2000 lb, hub face measurement and spring mount C to C.

You can try etrailer.com also for an axle. depending on what weight, etc you need they might have a reasonably priced axle. I got one from them for a 5,000 lb. trailer and it was reasonable.

You can find this info on-line about trailer axles.

Most trailer axles when bent properly have the front of the tires at their center toed in 1/8 to 1/4 inch and same at the bottom on ground called positive camber.
I've made or re-bent small trailer pipe axles up to around 3 inches in dia or take a grinder or torch and cut a groove in the center and front of a axle use a tape measure and bend the axle to the measurements above and then tack weld at first then fully weld after tacking.
If you want to beef up the axle, make it stronger after you get the toe in and positive camber correct just weld on an additional pipe or piece of steel. Be careful when welding on additional because heat will cause warping quite readily.

A trailer axle that is not toed in has tendency to wander or fishtail when being towed.
Also the axle cannot be cocked sideways to the tow vec. (spring tie bolt broken or bent frame)

A good alignment shop that can bend steering axles will put trailers on their rack and can bend them back to specs, Call an alignment shop that specializes in larger vehicles, They will straighten it for much less money and trouble than replacing the axle.

So I've managed to bend the axle on my small trailer. I use it to carry wood, both as logs and as firewood. My question is this...Am I able to loosen the two U bolts on each side, rotate the axle with the bend up and then retighten the bolts? Any chance this could work? Thanks, Steve.

kinda appears maybe you need a skid plate or stump jumper on your log trailer.

Back