removing spun out calk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sport Faller

Gate Pimp
Reaction score
Decided to replace my calks today, they were gettin pretty blunt and 7 of them will spin and spin but not loosen up, is there any tricks for hauling these out or is it time to go to the boot shop

Thanks, Jake

I have the same problem on a couple. I think I got one out by applying prying pressure on it with a screwdriver, and at the same time turning it. This would require less cussing with two people working together.

It failed on the other one.

Have had that happen and I think you're screwed. Probably the only way to fix is to take the sole loose so, yea back to the shoemaker or live with it.
Haven't had it happen since I went back to drive caulks.

Have had that happen and I think you're screwed. Probably the only way to fix is to take the sole loose so, yea back to the shoemaker or live with it.
Haven't had it happen since I went back to drive caulks.

Uggh, that's what I was afeared of, looks like it's Dremel time

So the deal is spinning in place? What if you sharpened a finishing nail and drove it in just right so it would bite against said slipping whatever? then just loosen as normal. Just an idea.

So the deal is spinning in place? What if you sharpened a finishing nail and drove it in just right so it would bite against said slipping whatever? then just loosen as normal. Just an idea.

that might be a pretty good idea, I'm not too keen on coughing up 120.00 for the cobbler to remove the soles and replace em and sharpening them would make them wind up way shorter than the rest

Yea, whatever it takes to save some coin. my corks are due for some work. although all of my 66 corks are solid, some of the screws are not holding and #### is starting to separate. I noticed that one has sprung a leak somewhere low, rain is coming. .

I use a little oil overnight the use a thin flat pry bar and lift and turn the caulk. Sometime heat and rapid cooling works as well.

calks

If they are hawthorn, Whites should rebuild (thats right) them for free. Had an old pair of buffalos that I had them cork and when they wore out, I tried to remove the calks, but half just spun. They rebuilt the pair for free. Call them and try it.

Latest posts

Back