Removing Trees and Logs with Low Access

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arborist94

Reaction score
Hi everyone, so I have recently been doing some independent arborist type jobs in back yards. I only have my chainsaw, a chipper attached to my truck, and my climbing equipment - the rest of my work gear is owned by the company i work for and i am unable to use it for my own purposes. Long story short, i'm looking for something, a piece of equipment, that can access the backyards I need to work in, as well as help me move logs, often times from downhill, to my chipper. It is only me on the job and most of my lifting gets heavy. Any ideas?

A winch is likely your best bet. I've asked and viewed similar questions here. Look around this site for more answers and you could probably find something without having to wait for a response!

Check out these two forums: http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/chainsaw-winch-pros-cons.235983/#post-4783883
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/using-a-winch.255257/

The one I bought is from WestCoast Winch. They sell the Portable Winch, and I like it and think it's a good product so far. You could also use a chainsaw winch but I have no experience with those.

I think a winch would be a last choice for the needs of the OP.
There is a gas powered dolly available which will help move the trunk chunks. There is a two wheeled cart available that is designed to make moving brush easier.
For the first, search Little Helper cart. For the second, search Stein Arbor Trolley.

I have heard of those types of winches before. I believe that some Bartlett locations use the Portable Winch as well. It is definitely interesting, but i have never used one and I don't know if it's right

We have the Little Helper at my actual job. works great... for the work we do. Sometimes it is hard to load alone, and getting it up hills can be difficult. As for hiring someone, I am not starting my own business - I am just doing neighborhood and friends-of-friends side jobs. I might be talking to some coworkers about joining up with me, but i'm not sure.

that looks like what I want! It's smaller then i thought, which is good though because I can take it around the neighborhood with me

I added a power drive to a wheel barrow, no problem going up hills with that. check motobarrow ( there are a couple different ones out there). not perfect but beats the 2gs that dr wants for their's.

Those things do look slick Blaster. I keep considering one but have a hard time shelling out the cash for something a better fabricator than me could turn out in half a day. Guess I should learn to weld. When you look at the cost next to a Dingo though they start to make sense...

But I doubt he will put it away after one job. In the long run it will make him more.
Jeff

Having an extra hand is hardly ever a bad thing, but when he is just doing neighborhood jobs it doesn't make too much sense to hire someone else, unless he can just get a buddy to help or something. But having a really dependable tool his side is better, can use it for anything, work or personal, and you don't have to split the profits ;)

All good ideas. I doubt I will have any help though, as I am not willing to pay. The Winch and the Trolly are good items to consider in the near future, I'll reach out to that westcoast winch and trolly site soon.

Latest posts

Back