Rental department saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Grumble. So they rented the Husky 359 again, and it came back with chain destroyed (typical) and smells like creosote. Same guy as who rented it a week ago. Same thing, evidently cutting RR ties or the equiv.

Talked it over with the boss (first reaction was to not rent saws for tie work) I poked it into google and evidently Carbide chain can work cutting ties. Now there is a idea. Get a shorter bar and a loop of Rapco. Create a charge for the use of the carbide chain, and see how it goes.

I just get depressed when I see what is left of the chain. However, people are going to want to damage a rental machine over their own. It might work better in the long run.

I'm surprised that you can rent a chainsaw in the first place. Just seems like there's a lot of risk for the rental place in handing a saw to someone who may or may not know how to use one, and who may or may not be actually intending to abuse it.

thats the reason Home Depot charges $50 per 4 hours and $65 a day.....they install a new chain every time they send one out from what i am told. One of my customers rents chainsaws for his jobsite from time to time, he said most of the places renting them install a new chain and some even include a gallon of mixed gas for every day you plan on renting it.

true carbide chain is probably a bad idea considering what it costs to purchase, sharpen, and repair them

thats the reason Home Depot charges $50 per 4 hours and $65 a day.....they install a new chain every time they send one out from what i am told. One of my customers rents chainsaws for his jobsite from time to time, he said most of the places renting them install a new chain and some even include a gallon of mixed gas for every day you plan on renting it.

true carbide chain is probably a bad idea considering what it costs to purchase, sharpen, and repair them
I think it's time to either up the rental fee to cover a new chain or simply make them buy the chain. No way would I invest in carbide chain. These knuckleheads would find a way to destroy that too. It amazes me how people just have no respect for other peoples' property.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I'm surprised that you can rent a chainsaw in the first place. Just seems like there's a lot of risk for the rental place in handing a saw to someone who may or may not know how to use one, and who may or may not be actually intending to abuse it.

We rent saws. Never had an issue with a guy hurting himself with the saw. Have had a guy kill himself using a gas powered pressure washer in a basement though. So.....

Yea, chains come back rocked out. It happens. Nature of the beast in the rental world. Build it in the rental price, sharpen it and move on.

Chain is a consumable.

We cut RR ties with regular chain. It's hard on it but it it what it is.

I am looking at it from both sides of the equation. From my perspective of having to deal with the first half of the chain gone, and also from the perspective of a "customer" who rented the thing for 4 hours, but it will not cut worth a hoot after the first 20 minutes to half hour. They might LEAN on the saw, and let it make dust. Would they hand me a extra $15 to get a carbide chain on it? Might be a touch slower but it will probably keep cutting.

I am tempted to try it. a 16" bar and a $130 chain. if it gets destroyed then so be it. Not much difference between that and the demolition saw we have. It is running a very expensive diamond blade...

I told them before we even opened the store, I would not rent chainsaws!!!! but here we are....

Personally I would insist on a deposit equal to or more then the saws worth. Specify that it is for cutting wood only, NO ditch witchin, NO cutting openings in a roof, NO railway ties. That will quickly educate the renter!

Patrick has your employer considered renting electric chainsaws?
Renting gas saws seems like a no win situation to me.

I have an ex-pat home depot Makita 6400 chainsaw. I call it “the loaner” cuz if you want to borrow a saw this is what you get. Great saw. I have cut asphalt shingles, chain link fence, even a t-post with it. I figure if renting at HD cant kill it, what chance do you have??

I have an ex-pat home depot Makita 6400 chainsaw. I call it “the loaner” cuz if you want to borrow a saw this is what you get. Great saw. I have cut asphalt shingles, chain link fence, even a t-post with it. I figure if renting at HD cant kill it, what chance do you have??

My friend you have no idea what some jobroni could do to that saw. You would be on the losing end of that bet.

It seems that most people renting a saw have probably never used one so intelligent care of the saw isn't going to happen. What I can't understand is why anyone would want the hassle of renting then repairing the saw. That seems like renting your fine crystal shop to AC/DC to shoot a video. When I was looking at Dolmar their website listed 2 businesses within 25 miles of me that rented Dolmar saws but didn't sell them.

Patrick has your employer considered renting electric chainsaws?
Renting gas saws seems like a no win situation to me.
Chain problems won't go away if the chainsaw is electric,surely? I guess the chain speed would be less so it won't get as hot, but that might just increase the abuse levels...
Problem I see with the carbide chain is that excessive overheating and general poor technique will pull the carbide cutters off quite quickly, completely ruining the chain, plus they are a bigger job to sharpen even if not destroyed.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back