Replacement for 260 Pro?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robertesq1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I severely damaged my 260 Pro. Was wondering if Stihl makes a comparable model to replace it with. I heard the newer saws are not as good. Any guidance much appreciated. Rob

The MS261 has the same 50cc displacement and does many things better than the MS260 (I have both), but is 1 lb heavier and has more power. The MS260 is more enjoyable for me to run; the MS261 seems to be all business and will get through larger wood quicker. The newly-introduced MS261 C-M (mtrontic) has received rave reviews on AS.

It's always hard to talk a guy out of a brand when he has a good dealer. We have one pretty decent Stihl dealer and a great Husqvarna dealer. So around here it's not unusual to see guys going to buy Stihl trimmers and Husqvarna saws. As they say dance with the gal that brought ya.

I severely damaged my 260 Pro. Was wondering if Stihl makes a comparable model to replace it with. I heard the newer saws are not as good. Any guidance much appreciated. Rob

You heard wrong. The 261cm is certainly a runner. You might also check out the 271 and 291. They are both a little less expensive, and run quite well. The MS241cm is coming to the US market very soon, and worth a look if you don't need it now. Meanwhile you can send me the fried 260........

My 261 is a hell of a saw. It is definitely chunkier than my old 346xp(RIP) or the current 545/550xpAT. The Dolmar 5105is very similar to the Stihl, but feels a bit more portly to me, though very solid and robust. There's a little 50cc Echo the CS 500p which would also be worth a look along with the Efco 152 depending on your tastes. If you buy the Stihl, I'd definitely spend the couple dollars more to get the CM version. It's worth it. There are several less-expensive medium range saws from all of the brands as well, if money is tight, which will still do a respectable job for firewood.

The 026/260 are fine saws - I bought one new in 1995 and used it alot - been a great saw. I also now have a 261cm and it is by far and away a better saw. I always disliked how the air filter on my 026 would need cleaning so often - it was like a sawdust magnet. The choke is built into the air filter and can become finicky - at least in my experience. Never had any issues until about 2006, then hard starting came along and continues to be somewhat of an issue. The air filter on the 261 is a wonderful design. Go to your dealer and check it out. I like how the top cover locks in place as well - very positive. On the scales, 16" bar and chain, full of oil and fuel I show the 261 to weigh 2 pounds more than the 026/260, but that little bit of extra weight does not bother me - it is a very robust saw. With the mtronic, no more carburetor adjustments to make. It doesn't sound like that big of a deal, but it makes a big difference in power to me. For example, I never tune my saws lean - the dealership always set my 026 at 12,600 rpm WOT out of wood. This was an adjustment that ensured that the saw would not lean out when the weather is cold - but left it too rich when it was warm. Now, with the mtronic, my 261 is screaming at max power no matter the weather - it automatically adjusts and compensates to run at perfect tune regardless of the elevation, weather, etc.

IMHO, you would be very happy with the 261cm. And if you do a muffler mod, it will pick up some power and the mtronic will adjust for the extra flow automatically.

Waylan

Back