Replacement for 260 Pro?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd rather have a ported ms260 than a new ms261. Get-er-done!
Hard to say what I like the best. I've got a ported 260 and a ported 261. The 260 may be a little "handier" but the 261 is pretty impressive. Runs like a bigger class saw. I probably could cut 90% of my cutting with it.

Hard to say what I like the best. I've got a ported 260 and a ported 261. The 260 may be a little "handier" but the 261 is pretty impressive. Runs like a bigger class saw. I probably could cut 90% of my cutting with it.
That's what I think about my ported 261cm...."runs like a bigger class saw.." but the 550 xp is more "featherweight" or classic pro 50 cc size and is great also but definitely a different concept than a 261cm IMO. I'm a firewood guy so the 261cm w 3/8 RM works best for me.

$300? Some piece of crap echo? Around here the MS 261 C-M is $619. I have both the MS 260 PRO and the MS 261 C-M VW. I drained and fogged the MS 260 PRO, and doubt I'll use it again unless I have to. $300 is not too much to pay someone to rebuild and stand behind your MS 260.

$300? Some piece of crap echo? Around here the MS 261 C-M is $619. I have both the MS 260 PRO and the MS 261 C-M VW. I drained and fogged the MS 260 PRO, and doubt I'll use it again unless I have to. $300 is not too much to pay someone to rebuild and stand behind your MS 260.

That's kinda what I was thinking. The dealer just wants to sell a new saw and turn around that 260 for some more bank on the side. Can't blame him, I know he's gotta make money too. Just ain't gonna make it off me :)

lol, true. But I think they meant what I paid for it...

You got a 260 new for $300?!?!
I actually don't recall exactly, but thought it was around that. If I was mistaken it was unintended. I know I paid retail at the time. Maybe they meant its current value. But I got the sense that they were discouraging its repair.

I actually don't recall exactly, but thought it was around that. If I was mistaken it was unintended. I know I paid retail at the time. Maybe they meant its current value. But I got the sense that they were discouraging its repair.
If you bought it new, it was $500-600. They meant its current value is about $200. They discouraged you because they want you to spend $600 on a new 261, then they can refurb your 260 and sell it for $350. Net $800 for them after they buy your 260 for $150.

Careful, brother.

If you bought it new, it was $500-600. They meant its current value is about $200. They discouraged you because they want you to spend $600 on a new 261, then they can refurb your 260 and sell it for $350. Net $800 for them after they buy your 260 for $150.

Careful, brother.

Net $800?! Careful, brother. You won't be in business long...

...I got the sense that they were discouraging its repair.
I could be wrong, but typically it doesn't make financial sense to have dealerships repair seized saws, given high overhead costs/labor rates and OEM parts. Owner rebuilds are another story, and an MS 260 Pro is a very useful saw to have around. Not sure about porting it when there's an MS361 available for larger wood, particularly where $$$ are an issue. Also, there is such a thing as too much power for smaller wood, esp. limbing IMO, and you end up having to blip the throttle all day to avoid over-revving the saw. For that kind of work, a stock 260 is perfect.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back