Replacement for 260 Pro?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could be wrong, but typically it doesn't make financial sense to have dealerships repair seized saws, given high overhead costs/labor rates and OEM parts. Owner rebuilds are another story, and an MS 260 Pro is a very useful saw to have around. Not sure about porting it when there's an MS361 available for larger wood, particularly where $$$ are an issue. Also, there is such a thing as too much power for smaller work IMO, and you end up having to blip the throttle all day to avoid over-revving the saw. For that kind of work, a stock 260 is perfect.

Porting the saw along with rebuild is not a big $$ concern but i'm not interested in a "screaming engine in the red" when doing chores....

You already paid for it new . Sometimes you have to figure that you got your money out of it in usage . So basically you need to look at it as you have $0 into it now . So to get that saw running better than it ever did , you will have $350 ish into it . So you are getting a new improved saw for $350 !! How can you go wrong ? Sounds like you like the saw , so you have to make it right in your head to move forward . I would have it done by an independent guy . This saw owes you nuthin !

You already paid for it new . Sometimes you have to figure that you got your money out of it in usage . So basically you need to look at it as you have $0 into it now . So to get that saw running better than it ever did , you will have $350 ish into it . So you are getting a new improved saw for $350 !! How can you go wrong ? Sounds like you like the saw , so you have to make it right in your head to move forward . I would have it done by an independent guy . This saw owes you nuthin !
How will porting affect its performance?

If you bought it new, it was $500-600. They meant its current value is about $200. They discouraged you because they want you to spend $600 on a new 261, then they can refurb your 260 and sell it for $350. Net $800 for them after they buy your 260 for $150.

Careful, brother.
If a dealer bought that saw for $150 (not worth it) and rebuilt it correctly with factory parts, they would have more than $350 into it. Chunks like that mean a complete splitting of the cases, new bearings, new seals. Figure out why it went boom in the first place...etc... I'm not even sure if I would trust the low rod bearing in that case either.

I could be wrong, but typically it doesn't make financial sense to have dealerships repair seized saws, given high overhead costs/labor rates and OEM parts. Owner rebuilds are another story, and an MS 260 Pro is a very useful saw to have around. Not sure about porting it when there's an MS361 available for larger wood, particularly where $$$ are an issue. Also, there is such a thing as too much power for smaller wood, esp. limbing IMO, and you end up having to blip the throttle all day to avoid over-revving the saw. For that kind of work, a stock 260 is perfect.
I don't even look at my stock 361 anymore being I have a 261c ported....limbing with any saw requires lots a blipping....lol. If the saw is tuned right the saw will be fine IMO...this is where autotune and mtronic come into play...

Last edited:
If a dealer bought that saw for $150 (not worth it) and rebuilt it correctly with factory parts, they would have more than $350 into it. Chunks like that mean a complete splitting of the cases, new bearings, new seals. Figure out why it went boom in the first place...etc... I'm not even sure if I would trust the low rod bearing in that case either.
They already said it was straight gassed. Why split the cases and do bearings/seals on that? It'll probably pass a vac test as it sits.

Whoops.. wrong blown up saw. I was thinking of the one with the broken piston. In your case, if the dealer is quoting you $300 that is a fair price considering the cost of a Stihl piston and cylinder for that saw.

The point being is that a dealer grosses about $140 on a 261. His net on that saw is probably half of that. On the used saw, he might net $50 after the parts and labor are involved if he can actually turn a 260 for $350 ( I know I couldn't). So, dealer is going to net maybe $120 off the whole deal.

The point being is that a dealer grosses about $140 on a 261. His net on that saw is probably half of that. On the used saw, he might net $50 after the parts and labor are involved if he can actually turn a 260 for $350 ( I know I couldn't). So, dealer is going to net maybe $120 off the whole deal.
OK, fair enough. I should have said Gross instead of Net. And my math was a little flawed. Not my strong point haha.

Still think he should send the saw to Randy for the treatment.

How will porting affect its performance?

Well, in the case of my Stumpbroke 372, it runs cooler than a stock 372, wraps out faster - which translates to better limbing, it uses a bit more fuel, but it puts a lot more wood on the ground than a stock one in the same time so it's all relative. My 562 is becoming my go-to saw for general wood cutting, BUT when it's time to play in bigger Hedge, then the 372 get's the nod. The Dolmar is a good saw and it will eventually get a bigger P&C, but there is NO comparison in top-end and throttle response between the two. If it shortens the life much, then so be it, but I know more than a few folks who have ported saw and have used them for years for firewood, without compromise or mercy. I feel pretty good.

Back