Replacement ignition modules

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casey v

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I see these selling on e-bay that replace the points and condenser on older saws. Do they work?

Thanks Mike

They work great on older chain saws.But you have to get one with the" right color".For a chain saw ,you need the BROWN one and the brand most commonly used is Atom.Some models fits on 4 stroke,others on lawn mowers,etc. depending of color of the module.

I put about 3 dozen of the Atom modules in Echo chainsaws in the late 1980's about the time all the saws were going to electronic ignitions. I have one still in my Echo and it has been there for 23 years...Bob

Yeah I have had alot of luck with those things but I mostly only convert old Homelites. Been using one for about 3 years now with no problems.

I think the ONLY saws they wont work on is an Contra, contra G, contra S 070 and 090 Stihl. other than those, it'll do the job, you just have to have a spot to mount it at.

HiOctane said:
They work great on older chain saws.But you have to get one with the" right color".For a chain saw ,you need the BROWN one and the brand most commonly used is Atom.Some models fits on 4 stroke,others on lawn mowers,etc. depending of color of the module.

This particular module has the hi-speed cut-out and is unsuitable for high reving saws.

Mc Bob.

Heres what Atom industries has to say about the Brown module,

Fits chainsaws, bruchcutters, string trimmers, hedge trimmers - all mechanical points equiped. Also replaces transistor modules on string trimmers ( prevents excessive RPM)
fits twin cylinder Briggs and Stratton, Victa Twin, Kawasaki KF100 and KF200.

I personnally ran two brown modules in my Solo Twin race saw and experianced no problems but it depends on the type of ignition being replaced. Especially in high reving units.

Mc Bob.

Back