Replacement splitting axe and maul handles?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zuren

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just moved into a new house and the previous owner left a splitting axe (Stanley head) and maul (brand unknown) behind, both with beat up handles. The heads still look good but need a good sharpening and maybe a coat of paint.

Is my best bet to head to the local hardware and see what they have, or is there a good online source of handles? I have Lowes and Home Depot around me as well (I have never looked for replacement handles there).

Also, how necessary is a design like this.......with the steel sheath on the handle?:

grans5.gif

I've only ever used plain wood handles and don't know if a replacement handle with a metal sheath is available.

Thanks!

that sheat on throat of handle isnt necessary imo, and best handles you can make yourself, just find some old logger who can show you how to make em....

Baileys got some handles you can check out, other than that you can always take the heads with you to the hardware store and check if they got handles that fit.
The sheet metal on the Gransfors splitting axe do save the handle when you get a bad hit on the wood, but not something you really need !

Baileys got some handles you can check out, other than that you can always take the heads with you to the hardware store and check if they got handles that fit.
The sheet metal on the Gransfors splitting axe do save the handle when you get a bad hit on the wood, but not something you really need !

The stores selling handles will also have 'handle savers', rubber donuts that slide over the handle. I just started using one two years ago and it has saved my sledge handle a couple times from me overstriking.

Harry K

Back