Replacemet 044 bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reaperman

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm looking to replace the 20" bar on my 044. I was looking at Baily's website which doesnt appear to carry Stihl OEM bars. With so many replacement options available I'm a bit confused. I dont want a cheapo bar, and I really dont need to spend $150 on one either. Some come with a chain loop, some two loops and some just the bar. I dont really need any loops, I must have about 10 laying around. But its always a treat to cut wood with a new chain, especially if a new bar is accompanying it.

Now can anyone give any input to what may be a decent bar for my saw. I'm just a homeowner cutting about 5-6 cords/year of mostly red oak. Thanks

Youreally can`t go wrong buying a Stihl bar, Rollomatic or the ES bar will likely outlast you and your saw.

+1 for me. My sentiments exactly. You should be well pleased with the ES bar. Since you don't need chains as you mentioned -- well you have less to spend. I love my 044!

You should be able to go to your dealer and buy a 20'' Rollomatic ES bar. I would think dealers would carry that size of bar at a reasonable price.

For what you are doing, An oregon bar may just do you fine.

Just go to the dealer and fork over the dead presidents and get a Stihl bar. Your not going to save much going with a am bar. A Stihl E or ES will work fine. Watch your gauge and pitch. BTW, I like to start with fresh chains on new bars. Or at least chains in good condition.

WDO

Just go to your local dealer and pick up a Rollomatic E or ES 20 incher. The money you save ordering it from Bailey's will be eaten up by the shipping. I just bought a 20" ES bar for my 044 a while back and it was just under $60 w/ tax. The E (non-replaceable sprocket tip) would be just fine as well and is a little bit cheaper.

Not really worth spending $40 + shipping on an oregon or carlton when you can get a stihl for $10 or so more...just my opinion.

Get a Stihl ES Bar, it will last a long time. I just found out that I need to stop buying my saw parts myself and buy them through my uncle's account at the local stihl dealer, he got a 36" ES Bar and 2 full chisel chains out the door for $104.96 (he sells more than 350 cords of wood a year, he has 2 guys that split for him year round with 2 timberwolfs) ! I was in shock ! My advice make friends with a big local tree guy and have him buy the things you need! lol.

Good luck!
Charles

Latest posts

Back