Dumb question on Stihl 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a very pretty saw. How 'bout you just mail it to me, and I'll get it all figured out. I promise to ship it back with a good bar and chain after I have "test driven" it sufficiently.

<edited> Does no one see that an 044 is unlikely to come with a .325 pitch chain? <Let's just pretend I didn't say this, ok?>

I don't purport to be a Stihl expert, but that just seems wrong to me. I know Stihl is fond of moving to odd sizes of chain just to make the customer return to the dealer, but .325 pitch chain seems light for a relatively heavy saw like an 044.

Outside resources say:
"The Stihl 044 chainsaw was manufactured for several years, with production beginning in 1982 and continuing until around 2001."​
"Stihl began offering chainsaws with .325-inch pitch chains as an alternative to the more common 3/8-inch pitch chains around the mid-1990s. The specific year may vary depending on the model and region. The .325-inch pitch chains are generally preferred for tasks that require a finer cut and are often used in lightweight or low-power chainsaws."​

.325 chain doesn't sound like a good match-up from a dealer with an 044 saw. They are one of my favorite saws for big wood.

I would suggest you also take pictures of the drive sprocket on the clutch, hopefully revealing the ID numbers on that area of concern.

Alternative suggestion!

Tell us what kind of tree cutting you intend to do with it. Matching the chain to a missing bar is the wrong approach entirely. You should be matching the bar size to the kind of cutting you will be doing, and balanced with what other saws you might have in your fleet. Then just make sure you have two chains that match the bar you got.

An 044 is such a powerful and versatile saw, I would recommend having both a 20" bar and also a 30" or a 36" bar, presuming that you will be taking on some bigger trees. If not, then nothing bigger than a 24" bar will be fine for a light woodcutters objectives. Putting a little 18" bar with some .325 pitch chain on it would almost be ridiculous.

If, for example, you had a MS-660 with a 36" bar, you wouldn't need to buy one in that size range. If, on the other hand, your biggest saw was an 18" Poulan, and you had been very pleased with that size saw, I'd suggest that you sold that 044 for an enormous profit and get a saw better sized to your needs that includes a bar or two and some chains, with some cash left over.

BTW: that 3/4 wrap handle is generally the preferred style for timber fellers. It facilitates handling the saw when it is carrying a long heavy bar on a "left side" approach to the tree. This is very important on hilly terrain while dropping difficult trees, not so important when cutting mulberry trees out of a farmer's fenceline. It's damned annoying to an arborist that wishes to flush cut a tree stump in someones front yard. None of my saws have 3/4 wrap handles, nor full wrap, either.

That's a very pretty saw. How 'bout you just mail it to me, and I'll get it all figured out. I promise to ship it back with a good bar and chain after I have "test driven" it sufficiently.

Does no one see that an 044 is unlikely to come with a .325 pitch chain?

I don't purport to be a Stihl expert, but that just seems wrong to me. I know Stihl is fond of moving to odd sizes of chain just to make the customer return to the dealer, but .325 pitch chain seems light for a relatively heavy saw like an 044.

Outside resources say:
"The Stihl 044 chainsaw was manufactured for several years, with production beginning in 1982 and continuing until around 2001."​
"Stihl began offering chainsaws with .325-inch pitch chains as an alternative to the more common 3/8-inch pitch chains around the mid-1990s. The specific year may vary depending on the model and region. The .325-inch pitch chains are generally preferred for tasks that require a finer cut and are often used in lightweight or low-power chainsaws."​

.325 chain doesn't sound like a good match-up from a dealer with an 044 saw. They are one of my favorite saws for big wood.

I would suggest you also take pictures of the drive sprocket on the clutch, hopefully revealing the ID numbers on that area of concern.
@pdqdl
Where did you come up with .325 in any of the posts?

Does no one see that an 044 is unlikely to come with a .325 pitch chain?

Outside resources say:

I measured the pitch and it was 3/8. There is also a 3/8 on the chain. There are 91 drivers so 28" bar. Have not measured the chain gauge yet

Alternative suggestion!

Tell us what kind of tree cutting you intend to do with it. Matching the chain to a missing bar is the wrong approach entirely. You should be matching the bar size to the kind of cutting you will be doing, and balanced with what other saws you might have in your fleet. Then just make sure you have two chains that match the bar you got.

An 044 is such a powerful and versatile saw, I would recommend having both a 20" bar and also a 30" or a 36" bar, presuming that you will be taking on some bigger trees. If not, then nothing bigger than a 24" bar will be fine for a light woodcutters objectives. Putting a little 18" bar with some .325 pitch chain on it would almost be ridiculous.

If, for example, you had a MS-660 with a 36" bar, you wouldn't need to buy one in that size range. If, on the other hand, your biggest saw was an 18" Poulan, and you had been very pleased with that size saw, I'd suggest that you sold that 044 for an enormous profit and get a saw better sized to your needs that includes a bar or two and some chains, with some cash left over.

BTW: that 3/4 wrap handle is generally the preferred style for timber fellers. It facilitates handling the saw when it is carrying a long heavy bar on a "left side" approach to the tree. This is very important on hilly terrain while dropping difficult trees, not so important when gutting mulberry trees out of a farmer's fenceline. It's damned annoying to an arborist that wishes to flush cut a tree stump in someones front yard. None of my saws have 3/4 wrap handles, nor full wrap, either.
Right now it will be used mostly for clearing whatever size logs fall across the roads. My father in law has 3600 acres with many roads he put in.

Stihl chains are pretty easy to ID. The stamp the gauge on the driver and the pitch on the tooth.
3=.050
5=.058
6=.063

Here is a 33RM-105 which is a 3/8, .050 gauge, 105 driver, semi chisel, chain for a 32" bar.

1697346264162.png

@pdqdl
Where did you come up with .325 in any of the posts?

I thought that's what I read on the original pictures.

Upon review of the original box pictures, I see that I was entirely mistaken. I have apparently run right off the rails on this one. A close squint at the chainsaw box even reveals 3/8ths.

Angry Looney Tunes GIF by Bombay Softwares

Well... That explains why none of the other fellas picked up on that little discrepancy. 'Cause it wasn't there.

Right now it will be used mostly for clearing whatever size logs fall across the roads. My father in law has 3600 acres with many roads he put in.

I'd give it a 24" bar and live with just that. Small enough to manage normal work, and big enough to take on a very large log from both sides. Even 3600 acres shouldn't get that many falling trees.

I thought that's what I read on the original pictures.

Upon review of the original box pictures, I see that I was entirely mistaken. I have apparently run right off the rails on this one. A close squint at the chainsaw box even reveals 3/8ths.

Well... That explains why none of the other fellas picked up on that little discrepancy. 'Cause it wasn't there.
That is the reason you need to SLOOOOOOOW down, read, look, think, then post..

It works well. :)

I'd give it a 24" bar and live with just that. Small enough to manage normal work, and big enough to take on a very large log from both sides. Even 3600 acres shouldn't get that many falling trees.
Yeah a 28" bar seems too big. I will see what my father in law is running on his. But I was thinking 24" as well.

Wow nice saw, I wouldn't worry about a chain for it, I'd put it right back in the box without using it and use the other 044 or whatever other saw you can find, I can't quite make out date of manufacture but looks like newer one bought when they were transitioning them out in late 90s and replacing with 440

Latest posts

Back