Modern equivalent to Stihl 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And the 400 vibes less than the 044.
But, does the Stihl MS400 have more grunt than the MS441 cm? It might be a pound or so lighter, but you will pay through the nose for one less pound. Both saws easily pull a 25" bar. I rebuilt and restored a 441cm and really like the saw as shown here:
1707263778016.jpeg
Parts cost me about $150 and were not easy to install, but they were worth every penny considering what a new MS400 costs today.

But, does the Stihl MS400 have more grunt than the MS441 cm? It might be a pound or so lighter, but you will pay through the nose for one less pound. Both saws easily pull a 25" bar. I rebuilt and restored a 441cm and really like the saw as shown here:
View attachment 1151279
Parts cost me about $150 and were not easy to install, but they were worth every penny considering what a new MS400 costs today.
IDK I don't have a 441 but my 400 don't seem like it has a lot of grunt, more like a hot rod with good RPM's!

To upgrade from your 044 with the same or better power, av, etc. , I don't doubt the ms400 would be a significant up grade. When it comes to a small saw and weight is a concern, I have been tickled using 025's for the last 3 decades. My primary 1 is muffler modded and I have been using a 16inch bar with picco 050 gauge . Isn't to slow for me in 10 inch diameter wood or so and good enough for significantly bigger if not in a hurry. It's significantly snappy throttle response for limbing also and the weight doesn't feel noticeable. I have a ported 026 which i would pick for larger wood but for ease or smaller diameter the 025 is what i use by far the most. If the wood is bigger the 026 is usually less then I want and I grab 60 to 70ish cc or bigger if needed . The picco on the 025 is less links and quick and easy to touch up or sharpen so I use it instead of a big saw when conditions likely will dull the chain sooner and reserve the bigger saw for dicing big pieces fast. More cost effective also concerning chain wear also.
MS 250 is close to identical but i think the older 025's are more consistent in reliability and performance from 1 saw to the next.

Just get a 500I they cut great and are light for their size! You won't be wanted for much else!
hopefully I’ll try a 500i at my local cutting area, old mate has one, but he prefers my 660 which he once had before getting stolen. He won’t put mine down when he gets his hands on it lol. He puts so much pressure on it just cus he can I guess LOL

Lots of good advice here, KEEP that 044 and ADD a 261C? Then you have an investment grade lighter saw that will see most of the use and the "heritage saw" for "now and then" big stuff.
I was in near the exact same boat this winter; at 69YO with the usual body wear n tear, 100% wood heat in WI. After seeing what was recommended here, grabbed a near new 462C that popped up near me, sold the 440 and then really splurged and sold on the 028 and got the 261C, not a lot of time on either yet. But this should see me to the end of my wood cutting days (I'll get a Milwaukee battery saw when I'm too feeble for gas).
Breaking in the 261C with 20" bar a joy "limbing" this Red Elm
KIMG5784.JPG
and the 462C will do the 20" plus trunk today.

View attachment 1151279

Trying to get two intake manifolds through and that throttle cable is a chore just by itself.

Trying to get two intake manifolds through and that throttle cable is a chore just by itself.
I firmly believe the Stihl guys who wrote the 441 Service Manual may have gone berserk or insane trying to write it. I almost joined them in the asylum while using it to rebuild the engine. My only complaint is that the engine does not give you any hint or clue that it is ready to run. It just eventually fires and runs fine. I've been told that's typical M-Tronic madness.

Thanks for all of the info/advice! I probably should have mentioned that I also have a 025 Stihl. Even with with my bum shoulder and elbow, I still prefer cutting firewood with the 044. We live on 43 mostly wooded acres in the North Georgia mountains. All of my firewood comes from trees on our property that are felled by high winds; we have at least a couple of storms per year with wind gusts in the 50 - 60mph range. Most of the fallen trees are red oaks that are typically around 30 - 36" in diameter just above the stump. I know of at least four in that category that were toppled last summer and are waiting to be cut and split into firewood. The 044 rips thru logs of this size far quicker and easier than the 025. I'll be 65 in a couple of months, and up until just over a year ago, I could still sling that 044 around almost as well as in my younger days. I may eventually sell both saws and pick up a 261, but I still haven't given up on rehabilitating my shoulder and elbow. We'll see if I feel the same way when I get those four trees cut, split, and stacked!

If u only had one saw I'd say Stihl 400 but you could keep 044 for big stuff or have someone else run it for you once in a while and use smaller saw due to rotator cuff issues, I personally like a cheap rebuilt husky 350 with bigger piston, light and good enuf to 12" logs with sharp chain. Also these light bars help too in weight balance

Don't judge all small saws by the 025 yardstick. I've used an 025 a bit (a bud has cut firewood for years with one) and I could barely stand to use it even compared to my 028. Don't be fooled by 025 - 251 vs 261C sounding like they are nearly the same saw. It's night and day difference.
I don't know the other brands but know this crowd and you can trust their choices for other good "medium duty saws.
As an AB test I did a 12" ash complete with the 462 then started at the top of a big down red elm with the 261 I could run the 261 a LOT longer without feeling worn out. It was easy work up through 12"+ diameter bucking.

Don't judge all small saws by the 025 yardstick. I've used an 025 a bit (a bud has cut firewood for years with one) and I could barely stand to use it even compared to my 028. Don't be fooled by 025 - 251 vs 261C sounding like they are nearly the same saw. It's night and day difference.
I don't know the other brands but know this crowd and you can trust their choices for other good "medium duty saws.
As an AB test I did a 12" ash complete with the 462 then started at the top of a big down red elm with the 261 I could run the 261 a LOT longer without feeling worn out. It was easy work up through 12"+ diameter bucking.
241C is 12 inch (ca. 30 centimeters) bucking territory and even lighter yet.

Yeah, I actually pretty much hate that damn 025. My buddy has a 261 and absolutely loves it. I'll have to borrow it and see how it works for me.

My BIL has an MS251. When we camp together for deer hunting, we trade off saws for firewood. With similar bar and chain, my 024 outperforms his saw, and to me feels lighter, too.

I have used my 044, 28" bar, full wrap for firewood for about 15 years, I'm 62 with some shoulder, elbow issues and arthritis in my neck (and big toes!) I use my 024 for most of my firewood, but I wouldn't give up the 044.

Actually, now I've gotten worse, I have an 066 Redlight 36", a ported 036, an 034 Super for a work truck saw and just bought an 026 to build. So many choices!

just bought an 026 to build. So many choices!

I just got done building a 026: machine work, ported, bigger carb and better intake setup and this saw is so light and powerful the next saw I would grab would be the 660 but till I need to bust the 660 out its perfect.

you'll really like it after you get it turned up.

Hi, this is probably my first post in over a decade. Life got in the way and I fell off the Arboristsite wagon for quite a while! My question is regarding my Stihl 044 which has been my go-to firewood saw for over 20 years. We are having a large Lopi wood burning fireplace insert delivered next week, and my woodcutting is likely to pick up once it's installed. I was wondering how my 044 stacks up against it's more modern competition. I haven't done nearly as much cutting recently as I did in my younger years. I am working with a partially torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder (I'm a lefty), and some aggravating tendonitis in my left elbow. I have learned to work around these issues and can still fairly effectively wield the 044, but was wondering if there are other options nowadays that are capable of 044-like performance at a noticeably lighter weight. Thanks, in advance for any advice.
Closest saw to a 44 is the new 462. Maybe a touch lighter with much better AV.
My slant fin 44 runs neck and neck with my buddies OE 462. Where the 44 lacks in HP it makes up in torque. The new cylinder may be better.
But I much rather run my buddies 462 all day. Much less vibes and feels smaller, less tiring.

I'm not sure that the 400 would feel much lighter in the hand but I may be mistaken.

In my opinion I would just plan to keep the 044 and get a little bit smaller saw that is lighter but still rips power wise with an 18-20in bar. I have an 044 and I can't imagine really wanting for more as a fire wood saw, I typically only break it out for stuff that is 14in and up, or if a lot of it is laying on the ground I'll use it for the longer bar.

I might get laughed at for this, but I cut probably 65-70% of my wood with an MS180. It is light, and with the adjustable carb and muffler opened up it actually rips pretty good. It'll bury the little 16in bar and just keep on cutting. IT is also small so it travels well on equipment. Again I have the 044 , an Echo 620p and an old Echo 750EVL that weighs dang near 20+ lbs for the big boy stuff.

I'll chime in here too. I love my 462 for anything 16"+ but it often gets used down to 8" or even for brushing just because its in my hands. The 044 I recently built is really nice and torquey, but lacks the AV of the newer 462 and is noticeably heavier if I switch saws. Personally I also use my 50cc Solo a lot and even an MS170/MS230 for brushing out trees. If you aren't in a rush just use a smaller saw.

Latest posts

Back