Modern equivalent to Stihl 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Add a 261 with 20 inch bar. I'm a few years out of back surgery and the 261 is my go to saw for most of my firewood--Live oak, tan oak, and madrone. I grab the 462 if there are a lot of 18" plus cuts but the 261 with a nice sharp chain is a versatile saw. And after back surgery I do try to cherry pick the smaller stuff so I can stand up and split horizontal because horsing around huge pieces of wood is a bit less fun post-surgery.

The 400 will run neck and neck with an 044, is lighter and handles a lot better, the av and air filter are light-years better then the 044. Only other saw I'd rather have is a newer 462.

The 400 will run neck and neck with an 044, is lighter and handles a lot better, the av and air filter are light-years better then the 044. Only other saw I'd rather have is a newer 462.
I get lots guys who run older saws and newer huskies always surprised by how light and nimble the 462 is. I was debating getting the 572 but after reading a lot I went for the 462 and I'm sure glad I did! I got a 572 a month ago and I honestly couldn't be bothered to use it if the 462 is in the truck as well. That being said the 572 has its place and its a solid saw.

Why do you like the 462 that much more than the 572?
How do you find the stock air filter on the 462. I was looking at it and sure looks like fines are going to get past it. The 572 air filter looks way better to me? What have you noticed owning both?

I find that the 462 'feels' lighter and a little more nimble when felling. When bucking since I am usually cutting 20" and smaller, I find that the 462 self-feeds more nicely, but that could be personal preference. On the flipside, I really like the husqvarna start/shop lever (I much prefer husky controls and simple toggles) and the husqvarna AV on the 572 is amazing to say the least. I would have to spend more time on both to maybe change my mind, but with the current setups, the weight savings on the 462 is what I reach for. (Stihl 462 has a 32" stihl ES light bar, Husqvarna 572 has a 28" Husky standard bar). I regularily clean the air filters so I cannot say much there except that it's clean inside the filter. I keep pretty hungry chains though so there isn't much for fines when cutting. The 572 is better balanced, but its a heavier powerhead... I like both and I am not opposed to either, just keep em sharp and run them hard

I find that the 462 'feels' lighter and a little more nimble when felling. When bucking since I am usually cutting 20" and smaller, I find that the 462 self-feeds more nicely, but that could be personal preference. On the flipside, I really like the husqvarna start/shop lever (I much prefer husky controls and simple toggles) and the husqvarna AV on the 572 is amazing to say the least. I would have to spend more time on both to maybe change my mind, but with the current setups, the weight savings on the 462 is what I reach for. (Stihl 462 has a 32" stihl ES light bar, Husqvarna 572 has a 28" Husky standard bar). I regularily clean the air filters so I cannot say much there except that it's clean inside the filter. I keep pretty hungry chains though so there isn't much for fines when cutting. The 572 is better balanced, but its a heavier powerhead... I like both and I am not opposed to either, just keep em sharp and run them hard
What do you mean by the husky AV?

You don’t find fine matter going into the carb when cleaning the air filter of the 462?

I have a 5105 and has the same start stop as the husky and I love it. Not a big fan of stihl but haven’t ran one long yet. With that said I do like the chain tensioner in the saw like stihl not in the cover like husky. What do you find with those. Never had a saw with it in the cover yet?
I’m looking for a bigger firewood saw and looking at these two saws. There is think l like and dislike about both. Like not a big fan of stihl gas caps

AV=anti-vibration, so the husky uses springs where the stihl uses rubber bushings, and the springs are just a notch above. No fine matter in either of the machines.

Latest posts

Back