Modern equivalent to Stihl 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmboy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, this is probably my first post in over a decade. Life got in the way and I fell off the Arboristsite wagon for quite a while! My question is regarding my Stihl 044 which has been my go-to firewood saw for over 20 years. We are having a large Lopi wood burning fireplace insert delivered next week, and my woodcutting is likely to pick up once it's installed. I was wondering how my 044 stacks up against it's more modern competition. I haven't done nearly as much cutting recently as I did in my younger years. I am working with a partially torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder (I'm a lefty), and some aggravating tendonitis in my left elbow. I have learned to work around these issues and can still fairly effectively wield the 044, but was wondering if there are other options nowadays that are capable of 044-like performance at a noticeably lighter weight. Thanks, in advance for any advice.

Hi, the stihl 462 or the 400 is almost the equivalent in cc’s, but you may want to consider something lighter. You don’t need that as a firewood saw. Consider a 261. It’s a fantastic saw and will be much more comfortable with your injuries.

Edit: consider that you’ll be having to split and move this timber with your injuries. Small rounds will be easier and just as suitable for firewood. 261 with 20” es light will be an awesome combo.

Are you interested in moving to a smaller or larger saws?
Two saw plan?
I'm interested in trades for good running decent tools.
Have a rebuilt left forearm and arthritis in my hands I see your point. I'm still running 361 or 362 most times. My four series saws mostly just sit. You might be interested in a longer bar on 441 not for weight savings but great AV. Got one. You may also be considing an older saw a bit lighter. 034 or a 360. Got many. Possible a very clean nice original 260 or some top handles like 192T. Got many.

What is your plan?

044 or 460s are definitely not in the smoothest AV department. Have a 461 west coast R model with a factory 3/4 wrap saw going up to be flipped. It's a customers saw that needs a piston here for a nut and bolt go over down to the shortblock. He just bought an almost new 461 Artic. This saw doesn't have a bunch of hours on it. Looks like it stuck a ring from a dirty burn. No big deal.

New would be the 400C for the 67cc. They got plenty right down the street here brandy new

400 or 462 is you want as close as possible in performance and weight. 400 is similar performance and a bit lighter, 462 is similar weight and a bit stronger.

If weight is your biggest concern, a 261 is a very light and capable saw, even better when ported

I had a Lopi stove. Loved it! It didn’t regulate well and was a bit of a fire breathing dragon but it was my favorite stove ever. It was a 1983 model. I’ve had a couple 044’s too, as well as a 261. You’ve held onto it for a while. I’m sure you’ve seen some of the new Stihl prices? I won’t touch ‘em’.

As much as I love my 590, it's similar size and weight as an 044 and only a hair stronger than a 362. Impossible to beat for the $$$ but there's better options if you're willing to spend the coin

As much as I love my 590, it's similar size and weight as an 044 and only a hair stronger than a 362. Impossible to beat for the $$$ but there's better options if you're willing to spend the coin
Wow, you are right. I looked up the specs and there isn't much weight difference.
Probably the 590's I've handled just felt lighter than my 440 due to a 20 bar vs 24.

Wow, you are right. I looked up the specs and there isn't much weight difference.
Probably the 590's I've handled just felt lighter than my 440 due to a 20 bar vs 24.
My 590 balances great with a 24. It's all I keep on it now, and after a muffler mod and a base gasket delete it pulls it pretty good. Not the fastest but it sure doesn't have me itching to buy a $1200+ 462 or 500i

I doubt the 590 is lighter. My 590 was heavier than my 462. The 590 doesn’t compare in the power department.
Yeah I think they're the same weight IIRC. Love my 590 but it's for sure a bit heavy for the displacement, great torque though

My 590 balances great with a 24. It's all I keep on it now, and after a muffler mod and a base gasket delete it pulls it pretty good. Not the fastest but it sure doesn't have me itching to buy a $1200+ 462 or 500i
Yep, Even back when I got the 462 I knew you can’t compare them. One being a 60cc $400 farm saw and one a 72cc $1200 pro beast. I did know I was never gonna use the 590 again after weighing and running the 462 lol.

Yep, Even back when I got the 462 I knew you can’t compare them. One being a 60cc $400 farm saw and one a 72cc $1200 pro beast. I did know I was never gonna use the 590 again after weighing and running the 462 lol.
No doubt that if money wasn’t a factor, I’d be running a 400 or a 462 for my main firewood saw, still my 590 and 620 have been flawless in the time I’ve owned them. Still hoping to find a good deal on a 661 like I did my old 660, but it wouldn’t realistically get used enough to justify the cost. Sold my old 660 for $1000, and I don’t regret it

Latest posts

Back