Replacing Old Faithful

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BackInTheGame

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I'm not a pro, but did have a weekend business doing selective cutting for land owners wanting a managed forest tax credit. The real job and family took me away from it 7 or 8 years ago. Now I'm thinking of getting back into it. Had 2 saws I used. A Dolmar 116 and a Husky XP88. The Dolmar was my favorite, used it for 75% of my cutting. Made the mistake of letting it sit for the last few of years, and now it looks like I may need to replace it.

I'm way out of touch with what's current for equipment these days. I've used Stihls, Poulans, Husqvarna's but really felt comfortable with the Dolmar. I had heard that Makita bought out Dolmar, but an internet search brought me here and I see Dolmar is still active.

Are Makita and Dolmar's the same? Is there another saw that you would recommend in the size/power range of the 116?

Thanks guys, for any advice you can offer to get me up to speed on current equipment.

Take a look at the Dolmar PS-6400 which is the closest in size to the old 116.
www.dolmarusa.com

Steve

attachment.php

Thanks Steve

Would you know if this is the same unit as the Makita DCS6401? One of our suppliers at work carries Makita power tools so the possibility of a substantial discount is there.

I've also been reading a lot of good things about the Dolmar 5100. Would I notice a major difference going to it from the 116?

Yes, it is - but also be aware that these saws weight a bit much for their power.

The 7900/7901 are the same basic saws, with a lot more power.

SawTroll said:
Yes, it is - but also be aware that these saws weight a bit much for their power.

The 7900/7901 are the same basic saws, with a lot more power.
I used a friends 7900 about a month ago,I was impressed.
Mark

Back