Replacing the carb on my 81 GMC

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Shooters Apprentice

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The original Quadrajet on my 81 GMC Jimmy with 305 is starting to act up and I decided its time to replace it.

Ordered up a Edelbrock 1902 with manual choke set up, choke cable, adaptor plate and a 14x3 air cleaner set up.

Anyone ever done this swap? Anything else I need to get? Unfortunately here in AK I can't just run to the parts store if I forget to order something, I'm waiting two weeks for parts to come in.

I have not but in case you haven't seen the website, I'm sure someone from GMsquarebody dot com has done it with plenty of advice. I'm on the forum occasionally to learn about my own chebbies.

Tom

The original Quadrajet on my 81 GMC Jimmy with 305 is starting to act up and I decided its time to replace it.

Ordered up a Edelbrock 1902 with manual choke set up, choke cable, adaptor plate and a 14x3 air cleaner set up.

Anyone ever done this swap? Anything else I need to get? Unfortunately here in AK I can't just run to the parts store if I forget to order something, I'm waiting two weeks for parts to come in.

You'll need to remove plug off all the smog crap from the Q-jet. Is 1902 correct bolt pattern for the manifold? Get a quality cable for the choke and a grommet for cable where it goes through firewall. Make you use correct vac port for dist. Get new hoses for vac PCV.

I'm a chevy fan, but mine are set up with Holley 4150s.

Don’t throw that Q jet away. Unless the throttle shafts are wallowed out, buy a rebuild kit and freshen it up.

You'll need to remove plug off all the smog crap from the Q-jet. Is 1902 correct bolt pattern for the manifold? Get a quality cable for the choke and a grommet for cable where it goes through firewall. Make you use correct vac port for dist. Get new hoses for vac PCV.

I'm a chevy fan, but mine are set up with Holley 4150s.
I plan on getting rid of the smog control and most of the vacuum stuff I can. The truck has cruise control, but I haven’t tested it to see if it works. The handle inside is broken off so I’ll probably just delete it and move on.

Latest posts

Back