Restore that old plastic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
Reaction score
I recently got my hands on an 038 Magnum 2. Looked like it had been cutting railroad ties, got covered in creosote grit and then died (ignition wire was chaffed though and was shorting on the ground wire). It then stayed in the garage window for 10 years... Mud Wasp nests, spiders, hay seeds; you name it, it had it.

Strip it completely down, Soak in diluted Purple cleaner and scrub away. Recoil cover had almost no paint left on it, and the orange plastic, well, was just a tad faded...

I see this "fade to white" a lot with saws outside of the North West, but not so much here. Usually I just hit it with Armorol or paste wax and call it good enough, but these had gone too far. I was going to just get another top shroud and air cleaner cover, so I tried an "experiment"

I mounted a cotton buffing wheel on my grinder, used a grinding stick compound suitable for plastic, and went for it.

It worked. You need a "light touch" or you'll gall the plastic (melt the surface) but with a little practice, I was happy with the results. On some deeper scratches I used a more aggressive grinding compound first. A couple places were touched up with 600 grit wet-dry emery paper before buffing. The final passes used a stick that was more of a "lustre restorer" or hard wax.

As I was unsure how the buffer hard wax finish would last on a saw, I cleaned the entire surface wax off with Colman lantern fluid (faded-look comes back) and hit it with Armorol. Not sure if this last step was was required.

The finish isn't perfect, and not like the high gloss factory finish, but it's way better than it was, and better than most saws with a year or two of use!

The pics:

Buffing Wheel
attachment.php

Plastic after cleaning
attachment.php

A quick pass

attachment.php

The Saw...

attachment.php

What else did I do?

- Rebuild the carb. Bing carbs are the best ever made for saws..
- Replaced ignition and grounding wires.
- Repainted recoil cover
- New badges; can't get the original "Magnum-2" any more, so "038" was good enough.
- Safety labels - they are free from any Stihl dealer..
- all the usual detail work including thread inserts, correct screws, oil pump, clutch springs, muffler screens.. pressure/vac test test... and a bunch of hours..
- New piston/rings/pin. The saw had 145lb, but the piston was a bit sloppy in the skirts. I could have re-ringed it, but heck, I can afford $35 for a Tecomec piston and rings. Tecomec (Italian) is the only aftermarket piston I'll use (I'll let the rest of the market figure out what is good and bad for a few years). Tecomec has been making them for 15 years, but for a handful of older saws.

Last edited:
Started in three pulls. I wasn't ready for it. Big cloud of smole from the assembly oil, and loud... The magnum 2 muffler is triple ported!

Idles beautifully (good piston, GREAT carb), rev's quick... Needs to cut wood, but I know how the Mag 2 cuts (real well), so...

Last edited:
i would avoid armorall at all cost for anything you want to last and not fade more. its alcohol based so will actually do more damage than good. anything silicone based is the best choice. if you want a good non greasy solution to it i use Meguiars NXT Tech Protectant. all saws that come through my shop get a few coats of this.

I've never had a problem with armoral, but I'll try your suggestion. Always searching for the best..

Not much in the way of chemicals affects the Stihl PA66 - it is nylon...

cord arrow said:
granted we're old, but i'm a big fan of bings, also.

Yes, they make walbro, tillotson and zama look like junk, and more than looks, they work so well - set them once and forget them!

plastic polishing

Lakeside when you are buffing plastic you should use a slow speed buffer wheel that belsaw sharpall turns to fast a 1725 or a 900 motor works better
do you use that to true up bars and do you have the chain grinding attachment for that machine?

josgmctk said:
Lakeside when you are buffing plastic you should use a slow speed buffer wheel that belsaw sharpall turns to fast a 1725 or a 900 motor works better
do you use that to true up bars and do you have the chain grinding attachment for that machine?

Yep.. I agree. It was an experient I went to use my big machine and found I'd bought 1/2 inch wheels..Grrrr,,, But they fitted the Foley.

I have everything for the Foley except the chain attachment -it's way too clunky.. I use a Stihl USG. Got the entire sharp all with original manual (1940's) for $100. It doesn't work well on bars either as you need to grind at an angle in the center of the grind wheel (grind at 90 to the bar) and have a concave wheel presenting a half inch edge.

GASoline71 said:
Nice job Andy! I was gonna ask about that same starter, but Jeff beat me to the question. Since he was at your place a day earlier than I was....:biggrinbounce2:

Gary

You were there too? Andy's house is becoming the gathering point for all of us. Get Roger there and we'd have the whole Seattle/San Juan/OlyPen crew there.

How's retirement treating you bro?

Back