Restoring broken recoil on 3450 Poulan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDee

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have discovered that a Husqvarna 266 starter pulley can be used as a substitute for the pulley on a Poulan 3450 and related saws. All you need to do is turn down the axle spindle on the recoil housing and grind the Husqvarna pulley hub notches about 3mm deeper. I didn't get to give it a long-term use test before sending it off, but I was so delighted I cranked it over and over again, at least a few dozens of times without a hitch. I plan to do it again on a keeper.DSC00843[1].JPG

Nice to know. I do however have a spare or 2 oem on hand just in case. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Lucky you. I searched high and low with no success before I started looking for a substitute.
Is there a reason you have to turn down the post in the housing instead of drilling out the pulley?
I don't know but it seemed to me that if I drilled it out to 18mm the plastic remaining inside the metal might be too fragile for the retaining washer

Lucky you. I searched high and low with no success before I started looking for a substitute.

I don't know but it seemed to me that if I drilled it out to 18mm the plastic remaining inside the metal might be too fragile for the retaining washer
Good enough then. I just couldn't picture it.

Nice you found a workable solution. I have spares for the PP365 style pulleys but not this type.

Good information but not exactly what I am hoping for. With husqv we have the 2 series, 3 series; with poulan there is Countervibe and the later clamshells; but all those for all those Poulan saws with the airbox cover separate from the cowl, do they have a common denominator?

Good information but not exactly what I am hoping for. With husqv we have the 2 series, 3 series; with poulan there is Countervibe and the later clamshells; but all those for all those Poulan saws with the airbox cover separate from the cowl, do they have a common denominator?
I know what your asking but I'm not sure there is a family tree name for them. You know it started pre Elux with the 2700 and up. They were great saws and Elux milked them for what they could but I think they became too big a threat to the Husky saws they wanted to be top dogs.

Pulley for Poulan 3450,3750, or Poulan Pro 330,380 should be all the same.

I'm not sure the 380 used the same. It's been a long time since I paid any attention but I still have a nice 380 that I will check.

I'm sure Kevin will be along to set me straight though. Lol

I'm not sure the 380 used the same. It's been a long time since I paid any attention but I still have a nice 380 that I will check.

I'm sure Kevin will be along to set me straight though. Lol

The part # for the 380 is different but I believe the difference is in the way the rope is retained. They use the same flywheel. I’ll have to check them both close one of these days.

I know what your asking but I'm not sure there is a family tree name for them. You know it started pre Elux with the 2700 and up. They were great saws and Elux milked them for what they could but I think they became too big a threat to the Husky saws they wanted to be top dogs.
I’ve been saying that for years. Those last PP 330, 3450, 3750, SP380 are fine saws. I still haven’t fueled the 330 that you got for a bunch of us years ago. I use my 3450 type III the most of all my saws.

That very well could be it. I forget stuff...

Here are the two pulleys. From what I can gather the 380 pulley has been superseded to the 3450 pulley. They are the same with the difference being in the retention of the rope.The 380 pulley is on the bottom.

18a9011c497737c0c6196ce6fd711ffa.jpg

af676e1e4f282b910835c403a7e380a4.jpg

Looking back at Arrowheads classic ultimate sleeper post, I re-discovered this:
Interesting this is the Ron Hartil designed Baird poulan 2700-3300 series Made in the 80's we had this unit to 65 cc back in the late 80's wen hot saws were really taking off Ive stated for years the Hartil 3.3 cube units could run circles round a wood boss stock and it always did at less than half cost
I think this is one of those?

Looking back at Arrowheads classic ultimate sleeper post, I re-discovered this:

I think this is one of those?
The 3450 is a continuation of those original saws. It got improvements, bigger carb, intake boot, and better air filters. Also some got 3 shoe clutch's and other minor differences like the tank vent in the side of the tank. For some reason a type III 3450 was 60cc like the 3750.

Very cool to see someone thinking out of the box. :cool: :cheers:

The 5 saws I know of that use this pulley are the 330 380 3450 3750 and 335 Predator

Some of the different ones used on the whole series. Bottom right for the 5 above.

I usually have some in stock at least used. I sold all the NOS ones already.

ppulley3500.jpg
p335predpull.JPG

Back