Restoring/painting covers

• Thread starter Deleted member 149229
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely, positively, undoubtedly have no idea, never thought about that. Guess I’m gonna find out. Maybe I can convert it to one of those 100 lb propane tanks! :lol:

Yeah, I found out the hard way. Bottom line is that most spray bomb stuff is not fuel resistant. If you want something fuel resistant, take it to a bodyshop so they can spray it with regular automotive paint. Or order some of the tractor and implement spray bombs from Amazon or buy it at TSC. It's stout and made for fuel resistance.

For spraying a few Stihl's, I got the paint number and brought it to a local shop. They mixed up some gray and orange. When it warms up a bit, I'll prime and paint with an inexpensive gun.

Good luck,

Scott

Yeah, I found out the hard way. Bottom line is that most spray bomb stuff is not fuel resistant. If you want something fuel resistant, take it to a bodyshop so they can spray it with regular automotive paint. Or order some of the tractor and implement spray bombs from Amazon or buy it at TSC. It's stout and made for fuel resistance.

For spraying a few Stihl's, I got the paint number and brought it to a local shop. They mixed up some gray and orange. When it warms up a bit, I'll prime and paint with an inexpensive gun.

Good luck,

Scott
If it doesn’t work I’ll use the universal repair, duct tape. It comes in colors now.

You can leave the paint on it and give it a coat of kwik clear from PPG. It's a 2 part hardened enamel and will resist fuel pretty well.
Thats the way to do it. Another thing that is important is to essentially bake the paint on to ensure that it is dry - I sit the covers in the car for a day in Australia which does the trick.

Thats the way to do it. Another thing that is important is to essentially bake the paint on to ensure that it is dry - I sit the covers in the car for a day in Australia which does the trick.
I left the painted covers in the basement with the woodburner for a week, Death Valley or the Outback would seem like Antarctica.

Another point is that it is always worth using a plastic primer. I find that I get better adhesion to plastic with a primer than I do to magnesium. 2 pac clear over the top and it is very strong and fuel and scratch resistant.

If this screws up I’ll remember that, hopefully. Duct tape in colors is still an option.
This info has been posted before but if you didn't know..Most auto paint supply houses will make you a custom spray bomb with their pro paint. Expensive at $25 a can but i've yet to find a consumer product worth a damn.

The trouble I've had with my Husqvarnas that I touch up is I end up with multiple colors unless I paint the entire saw. Some of the older ones turn brown, especially the fuel tank and handle. I have a 372 right now that I painted the top and installed a new starter on. Everything's orange except the handle..

The trouble I've had with my Husqvarnas that I touch up is I end up with multiple colors unless I paint the entire saw. Some of the older ones turn brown, especially the fuel tank and handle. I have a 372 right now that I painted the top and installed a new starter on. Everything's orange except the handle..
Try the semi-transparent orange gas tank on an Echo 590. :(

Good luck,

Scott

What Stihl is grey?

Back