Returning Phone Calls

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffsaw

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was wondering how important it is for you to return calls from potential customers? In this area it is common for contractors and service people to not call back. It seems they are too busy or maybe the job is too small. Anyway, its very frustrating.

Don't potential customers=potential cash?

The outfit i'm with has a large sales/customer service force. A customer will always reach a person when they call, an arborist will be talking to them within an hour and usually someone is on location the same day. (Not doing the work, but talking to the customer.) The boss built his business on customer service and while he does prefer the big jobs, i've never seen him turn down a pole saw job for an old lady either.

I know around here often times contractors in other trades will not call back, or say they will but just keep putting it off. Don't see whats wrong with telling someone "no" and that your too busy.

Every customer I deal with always compliments me on calling them back promptly. Most of the time I go look at the work. If it something I am not interested in doing or just to busy I give them names of other tree contractors in my area.

The secret to running a good business is to call people back, show up when you say you will, and doing what you said you would do or more!!!!

I'll do you one better, I ANSWER my phone. I can't afford to miss a potential sale right now and people like to have a warm body to talk to. I am booked for two weeks now but I still answer my phone (yes, even if I am in a tree) and show up to look their trees over promptly. I am taking three days to hunt right now but I still made a sales call yesterday afternoon as well as this afternoon.

Always return calls....sometimes you play phone tag, but.....you at least call em back!!!

the main thing here is not so much contractors calling back, its getting them to show up after they got the job.......ive got so many jobs lately from other tree care companies not showing up/or returning calls wondering where they are??

LXT..............

I'm not an arborist, but in 25 years of owning hunting and fishing retail stores, I'd agree that it is the simplest way to create business. I'd sell guns to so many guys who would say, "... wow, you called me back...." So simple. Usually I wasn't the cheapest guy in the area, (that wasn't my goal), but the guys who were the cheapest were too busy doing low margin business to talk to someone who wasn't necessarily price shopping.

Like Woody Allen said, "90% of life is showing up."

I used to hunt ducks with a great old guy who beat cancer three times and was tough as nails. He owned a high performance engine shop and built drag boats. In his truck, we came up with the idea for a book on successful retail. It would be a hardcover book with one page that would list 3 things.

1. Return phone calls
2. Do what you said you'd do
3. Charge more for your stuff than you pay for it.

I think alot of businesses fail for one of these 3 simple things.

Pete

Last edited:
I either answer the phone or call back in a reasonable amount of time , but I also keep hours , and often calls received after 6 are returned in the morning and after 4pm on Saturday are returned on Monday , Call me crazy but there has to be some break for me ..

I'm not an arborist, but in 25 years of owning hunting and fishing retail stores, I'd agree that it is the simplest way to create business. I'd sell guns to so many guys who would say, "... wow, you called me back...." So simple. Usually I wasn't the cheapest guy in the area, (that wasn't my goal), but the guys who were the cheapest were too busy doing low margin business to talk to someone who wasn't necessarily price shopping.

Like Woody Allen said, "90% of life is showing up."

I used to hunt ducks with a great old guy who beat cancer three times and was tough as nails. He owned a high performance engine shop and built drag boats. In his truck, we came up with the idea for a book on successful retail. It would be a hardcover book with one page that would list 3 things.

1. Return phone calls
2. Do what you said you'd do
3. Charge more for your stuff than you pay for it.

I think alot of businesses fail for one of these 3 simple things.

Pete

Good post. I'm pretty good a 1 & 2 and I'm working hard on number 3. I have a very long list of contractors who never returned my call or didn't show for an appointment. I refuse to beg people to take my money.
Phil

Treeclimber you are right. After 18 years of 6 and a half days a week, and meeting people before and after hours, our last store was 5 days a week and it was great. I think your real customers understand that you have a life too.

Pete

I also am strong advocate of structure , estimates are done on the same days weekly and are done within a time discussed by both myself and the homeowner, I have a real problem with customers that I have never dealt with telling to just and take a look and leave the price , if I hire someone to do work for me I want to meet that person its important to have a first impression on both sides , it is almost seems to me that I am wasting my time when I don't meet the person I rarely get the work ..

I also am strong advocate of structure , estimates are done on the same days weekly and are done within a time discussed by both myself and the homeowner, I have a real problem with customers that I have never dealt with telling to just and take a look and leave the price , if I hire someone to do work for me I want to meet that person its important to have a first impression on both sides , it is almost seems to me that I am wasting my time when I don't meet the person I rarely get the work ..

Wow, in todays world having the homeowner there on "bidding" days is tough, & if they are able to be at home then are they able to afford serious tree work??

where im at it takes two!!! & many are working more hours for less but recognize they still need to have work done.....So, the old can you look & leave a price is common place & honestly....I like that better some times, if the HO is there then it becomes a complete walk around the property & whatta ya think bout this or that & how much more & how bout this, etc...

Ive obtained many jobs from looking without the Home owner present...the key is a follow up call & maybe explaining why your a little higher than the other guy, I usually land many of these type bids, get a signed contract, bill em & usually within the week im paid!!!!

LXT.............

I agree with the prior posts. If they called to get you to work for them, shouldn't you call back, thus work and thus money in your pocket? I called back 7 people today, met 4 and got the jobs and will do a follow up call tomorrow on the others plus a few from last week. My problem is that Sunday is the only day I usually can get out to meet people unless it's raining. Often, its the only day I can call them back too . Once in a while, if I don't call fast enough, they get someone else to do the work.

Wow, in todays world having the homeowner there on "bidding" days is tough, & if they are able to be at home then are they able to afford serious tree work??

where im at it takes two!!! & many are working more hours for less but recognize they still need to have work done.....So, the old can you look & leave a price is common place & honestly....I like that better some times, if the HO is there then it becomes a complete walk around the property & whatta ya think bout this or that & how much more & how bout this, etc...

Ive obtained many jobs from looking without the Home owner present...the key is a follow up call & maybe explaining why your a little higher than the other guy, I usually land many of these type bids, get a signed contract, bill em & usually within the week im paid!!!!

LXT.............

Thats great if it works for you but thats how I work it , you call me I schedule a time WE look at the work together no confusion and a clear work plan is layed out from start to finish

you cant write out a clear work plan? & personally......I tell the home owner what needs done, whats healthy, whats not, etc... I ask what their goal is & then tell them if its obtainable or not!

they hire me for my experience, my biz reputation is very good, if they wanna be there fine!!! if not.......I have the ability to do whatever needs done & have never had a complaint from a home owner or company hiring me without someone being there!!

a pro can do the job with or without the input of the owner!!!!

LXT.................

you cant write out a clear work plan? & personally......I tell the home owner what needs done, whats healthy, whats not, etc... I ask what their goal is & then tell them if its obtainable or not!

they hire me for my experience, my biz reputation is very good, if they wanna be there fine!!! if not.......I have the ability to do whatever needs done & have never had a complaint from a home owner or company hiring me without someone being there!!

a pro can do the job with or without the input of the owner!!!!

LXT.................
Wow that last lines laughable to say the very least I really think this deserves it own thread and since your the "PRO" here maybe you should start one up :bang:

Wow that last lines laughable to say the very least I really think this deserves it own thread and since your the "PRO" here maybe you should start one up :bang:

for you treeclimber....i prolly should!!

whats laughable is your tunnel vision!!! I guess if you dont know what to do & need to be told by the home owner... then meeting with them is necessary!

I cant imagine telling my plumber "yeah but ill have to be there so I can tell you what pipe goes where" LMFAO......your outdated thought process in this regard is what keeps this profession in the dark ages!!

follow the A300 & BMP`s & you`ll have no problem!! you do know what these are? right? LOL

LXT..............

I personally like to meet with them if I can to make sure we are on the same page and (when I'm slow) nail down the job. Doesn't always work out that way. If our schedules don't jibe I will just leave an estimate and follow up with a call.

It really depends on how busy I am. I too like to get all of my bidding done in one day. No certain day just whatever day that works best for me. If I am busy I will often just leave an estimate. When I'm slow I like to meet with them if I can and get a signed contract.

Last edited:
estimates with home owner

It is only my third year in the tree service business and I'm finding I will lowball a job when the homeowner is there. I have to learn to say "I'll call or email you back" when I'm not sure of the time it will take to do an "interesting" removal or pruning. I end up with a fairer estimate for me if the figuring out is done at home.

I always make my customers meet me. If I'm not worth their time, they aren't worth mine.

Latest posts

Back