Rev limiters on 272xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonBull

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just got a 1993 272XP running for one of the guys. I poped a 3/4" hole in the muffler in the front of it for added power and cooling. I took it out and didnt seem any more powerful/fast. I put the tach on it and it spins 11,800 MAX out of the cut and 9,600 in the cut. IS this normal for these saws? By doing the muffler mod did I just gain torque? Is there a rev limiter I can take out or change to get more R's?

If you havent noticed there isnt anything inside the muffler. Now on the new saws today they have all kinda crap for the epa regulations. And when you put a hole in a muffler on a new saw it lets it breath more and gives it more torque. In the case of the 272 (which we bought one off of you ( peace of ???? )) there is no added torque by muffler mods. Maybe more screaming and another hole for things to get into!

Thx Dan

Good to know guys! Thanks for the heads up.

Climber first off you didnt buya saw from me! You boght it from the co. I work for I was just a middle man on the internet for them. If you were unhappy with it you are the only one. EVERY other 272 they sold on here came from a lineup of saws we bought in the early 90's and they ALL ran including this one I just built up which needed a lot of parts....sorry youre unhappy!

jmo. but if the muffler is unrestricted and u opened it up ..u probably cut the rpm instead of increasing it.try pluggin that hole up.again jmo

BB, if you added a 3/4 inch port in addition to the existing port, that is too much for a 272. You should limit total port area to maybe 1.25 times the area of the exhaust opening at he cylinder wall. Try closing it off some. I've never run a 272, but would assume that the proper port size would give it a good increase in cutting speed.

re the max rpm issue, try cleaning the carb...something is wrong if it won't spin 13500 or higher out of the wood.

rbtree said:
the max rpm issue, try cleaning the carb...something is wrong if it won't spin 13500 or higher out of the wood.

The 272 that we run is set @ about 13,000 rpm. I believe Husky calls for 12,500 rpm as max.

I have a Shindaiwa 488 that I modded the muffler on. I made the second port TOO big and the saw fell flat on its face. This may be the case here and in climber1423's case!

First off BB we asked for the 272 with the plastic chainbreak with the newer style saw. What you guys did was change off the chainbreak and the starter case to make it look like the same and give us the older saw with the newer items on it. Then the saw only ran at high idle because the jug and piston were scored!(and you guys claimed it ran) Now that I rebuilt the carb and put to the new jug and piston on it runs like a champ. And by the way the chain break didnt work either one of you guys took it apart and put it back together wrong!
And Rich I put a hole in the muffler (about 1"/.5") and its fine it screams more thats all, not to much difference in rpm's or torque (if there is its more not less.)

climber1423 said:
First off BB we asked for the 272 with the plastic chainbreak with the newer style saw. What you guys did was change off the chainbreak and the starter case to make it look like the same and give us the older saw with the newer items on it. Then the saw only ran at high idle because the jug and piston were scored!(and you guys claimed it ran) Now that I rebuilt the carb and put to the new jug and piston on it runs like a champ. And by the way the chain break didnt work either one of you guys took it apart and put it back together wrong!
And Rich I put a hole in the muffler (about 1"/.5") and its fine it screams more thats all, not to much difference in rpm's or torque (if there is its more not less.)

That 272 was under a bench for at least a few years. These saws were do for the dumpster and I saved them from being dumped and made the boss a few bucks. I can guarantee you that we didnt change the chain brake or anything else for that matter. If any saw here is in need of a reapiar of more than 50 dollars we buy new so that should tell you something.
I dont remember you asking for a newer style brake. And I never said it ran. I said it had good compression check your PM's as all of mine have been deleted BUT I will ask for them to be dug up. We dont run any saws older than 2 years except for the 395. So there is no changing of parts.
Sorry for your bad experience but please try to dig up the PM's. You are the first person who has said I sold them something that wasnt what I described.

I sold 3 other 272's and they were all the same year and ALL in the SAME condition. Husky288 also bought one and it was the twin to yours. If you need an extra chain brake Ill send you a couple becuase I have a box of old ones that I needed to make this 272 (the last one). They will be thrown out this week if you dont want them.

Obviously you dont know what saws you sold. And you dont know who I am. But your a bu!!sh!ter and a half. Ill let you figure your own mess out.

But Rich I already told you but ya youve got it right.

climber1423 said:
Obviously you dont know what saws you sold. And you dont know who I am. But your a bu!!sh!ter and a half. Ill let you figure your own mess out.

But Rich I already told you but ya youve got it right.

Why dont you enlighten me then. What other screen names do you run under? I sold 4 272, 2 394, one 346, one 254se, and one 288. I sold them to only a couple of different guys. These saws are junk to us not worth rebuilding! The co. wants new stuff on the trucks with no headaches. They definately didnt rape your POS saw of parts for our personal using. I NEVER told anyone that these had clean cylinders for the price they were sold at, as a complete powerhead I wouldnt even check the spark plug.

SO which one of your other personalities did I sell this to? Come to the GTG with said saw and show me exactly which parts I took off for our personal enjoyment. You are the ONLY dissatisfied customer out of everyone that bought these old USED saws.

Ok Heres the link.
http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=26046
The saw that I wanted is the in the first pic that you showed ( 4-5 post or so) It has the 9-89 engraved above the gas cap. I got the another saw with that starter case and a plastic chain break. And saws dont come out of the factory put together wrong! So somebody had to messed with the chainbreak for it not to have worked.

And me go to your GTG. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:. Youll be the only one there. You think youll have people but alot people think your a POS.

You requested a 272. not anyone imparticular.

I find it amazingly funny that you didnt have a problem with the saw until now when you created this alter ego screen name. Ask GICON what happens to people who are close by that like to pretend they are someone else. Funny how he doesnt come around anymore huh.

I am sorry that you arent happy with the saw. BUT you shouldve spoen up sooner than 3 months later.

I am a POS? Arent you the wannabe arborist at a university in PA somewhere?

Are you even old enough to be using profanity in public? Your profile says your 15? What is this soime kind of sick and twisted joke?

No this is not a sick twisted joke. Your just to dumb to figure out who I am. This is my one and only user name. But I just may know the person that bought a saw from you!

Childish 14and 2/3, I don't know anything about BBs saws and transactions from personal experience but coming around months after a sale and badmouthing the seller, passing yourself off as a pruchaser but not identifying the real purchaser etc. is in very bad taste. Since other people posted nice things about dealing with BB and you behave so badly I'll assume that BB is blameless and that you are a dumb punk. Happy New Year I wish you the very best-hopefully someone will instill some sense into you.:buttkick:

Back