Review of a WHS 440

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy1234

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I purchased a rebuilt MS 440 with a woods port mod from Dean approx 1-1/2 weeks ago. It showed up today, and here are some of my initial observations.

First, shipping was prompt and well packed. Even with the Thanksgiving holiday, it showed up in under a week from when he received payment. (Not bad for the Post Office!)

I put a used 20" bar and a new Oregon round chisel chain on it and headed for the woodpile. (Why 20"? Because, that was what was easiest for me to grab.)

Initially, after filling the tank, it took 5 pulls on choke to get it to pop. Then 1 pull on 1/2 choke and it fired right up.

I adjusted the idle mixture screw a little to get the chain to stop turning while idling, but that is probably from the elevation differences between St. Louis and Washington State.

First cut was a 18" dia red oak. No times, and no pics, but it cut through it like butter. The saw is definitely a higher rpm saw, it likes it when you keep it revved up. Leaning into it, I was able to bog it down, but realized that with a lighter touch, the cutting was very fast. I ripped a few chunks lengthwise, and the saw cut strips of shavings so fast that they jammed the chain under the clutch cover!

Ran it through some walnut, some locust and a few others. I ran it for a total of about 1 hour, going through just over 2 tanks of fuel.

The saw restarted every time with 1 pull on the rope.

Positives: It easily matches the top end power of my stock 066, without the weight. Also, it doesn't gulp fuel down quite as fast. Quality of workmanship is top notch, you really can't tell that anything has been done to modify it, until you start it.

Negatives: Now, did I really NEED another saw??

I spoke w/ Dean this evening, and he did mention his warranty, which is fairly basic, but is more then adequate. Pretty much, if it breaks and it's his fault, it gets fixed and he covers the bill. If it breaks and I broke it, then I cover the bill.

Not to be biased, Ben @ NWCS has my 066, and I will post a review when I receive it. He has already worked on my 084, but I haven't been able to run that, yet.

I have a funny feeling this will turn out to be my main saw, with maybe an 026 or similar for smaller stuff. I like the higher power for lower weight (compared to the 066), lower fuel consumption, and also the balance and feel of the saw.

Andy

I have sent Dean lots of stuff - good to deal with and good product when done. I am actually heading up there in the morning.
447 miles - yee - haw.

I have had a couple of saws done by Dean also. I just got my 440 back with some extra tweaks done to it. WOW! Is all I can say. It just rips. Great guy and easy to talk to. Very grounded.

Back