Reviews for chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darin

No Longer Here
Reaction score
At linkedingreen.com we soon will have a review products section. Here are some of the options I was thinking you would be able to vote on saws from 1 to 5 stars

Power to Weight Ratio
Performance
Value
Parts Availability

So there isn't too many questions are there any other ratings I missed or should be asked? Hope this will be fun!!

A performance vote is a shady area. The saw that works best at sea level here may not run the best 3000 miles away under different conditions. Proved that many times both working and racing. Many don't seem to consider this point.

The power to weight ratio is quantifiable and listed in most manufacturers specs, putting a star on it makes no sense.

Also, parts availability will change locally or regionally.

A performance vote is a shady area. The saw that works best at sea level here may not run the best 3000 miles away under different conditions. Proved that many times both working and racing. Many don't seem to consider this point.

True but I think a person that bought a saw here in the mile high city would vote based on his/her experiences comparing it to other saws.

The power to weight ratio is quantifiable and listed in most manufacturers specs, putting a star on it makes no sense.

Also, parts availability will change locally or regionally.

It's in specs but I think people could vote if it's good or not.

How's about

User friendly features / ergonomics / balance

Access for basic maintenance

Options, including but not limited to cold weather options and wrap handles

Take Care

Great point to bring up! Most of you "Low Landers" get to enjoy your saws at or near to sea level.

I cut well over a mile high or more. All saws will start dropping big HP! I am seeing a 22.5% to 33% drop of in HP cutting from 7500 to 11000 ft.

My .02

Mike

Just don't see how the people on this site are going to be able to provide any useful input beyond the 30,028 opinions that are available on this site. If you ask questions about balance, that is completely subjective as is almost every other category of the questions. If you read the posts on AS for any length of time you will find that every brand of saw is the best ever and every brand of saw is the worst piece of overpriced junk ever conceived. Ease of maintenance? A person that uses a saw everyday will be able to accomplish the routine maintenance tasks in brief moments on a saw that others may consider to be really a pain to maintain. Everyone has their favorites and those will be reviewed well and those they don't have or maybe picked up and cut with for five minutes are going to be disparaged. Have at it but I just don't see that there will be a true benefit to such a review site...my two cents.

Just don't see how the people on this site are going to be able to provide any useful input beyond the 30,028 opinions that are available on this site. If you ask questions about balance, that is completely subjective as is almost every other category of the questions. If you read the posts on AS for any length of time you will find that every brand of saw is the best ever and every brand of saw is the worst piece of overpriced junk ever conceived. Ease of maintenance? A person that uses a saw everyday will be able to accomplish the routine maintenance tasks in brief moments on a saw that others may consider to be really a pain to maintain. Everyone has their favorites and those will be reviewed well and those they don't have or maybe picked up and cut with for five minutes are going to be disparaged. Have at it but I just don't see that there will be a true benefit to such a review site...my two cents.

This has nothing to do with the topic.

To those that did help.....I will just do it my way and add a few good ideas that others had.
Thanks!!

Take a page from Mountain bikers?

Those guys will review not just bikes but parts of bikes, and accessories like safety equipment. I found this site incredibly useful in figuring out just _why_ I should choose one part over another:

http://www.mtbr.com/reviewscrx.aspx

All reviews are by users, not professional writers, so there is a nice spread of reviews from the well thought-out to the knee-jerk angry rant (this sucks because it didn't work for me, wah wah wah).

Things like price paid, where & when purchased, user level (arborist, climber, logger, home-owner), type of wood cut, # of cords cut (if applicable), length of bar, type of chain, perceived fuel economy (admittedly a tough one) could all factor in. It could easily expand to cover other parts like aftermarket bars, chains, oils, mufflers, pistons, muffs, hard-hats, glasses, boots, chaps, tools, paints (for the resto fans) and so forth.

Being able to sort something like 50cc class saws not just by overall votes but by number of reviews is also helpful (for example, click on wheelsets in the above link, then click on the column headings to sort). It's telling if a saw has five stars based on one review (useless), versus a rating of one star based on 100 reviews (useful).

This has nothing to do with the topic.

Sorry, I thought it was about rating and reviewing chainsaws. Guess I misunderstood.

It is but in an organized fashion. I asked a specific question, not to belittle the idea. I agree the site has lots of information. To have it somewhat organized may help somebody find the information much more easy. Arboristsite is hardly a review site, it's a discussion forum.

Ok, AS Review site is almost here. Here is the final list and thanks all for helping.

Ergonomics
Balance
Features
Value
Durability
Ease of repair

Once this is set, I can't change. Do you all agree with that? Also, If you have a 100 points and 6 items. How much would you divide it up. Equally or should some of the items bear a larger importance and get more of those points?
Thanks again. Hope to have this off and running shortly.

How about air filter access?Ease of starting? Chain tension adjustment?Balance has already been mentioned as was vibration. Engine noise?Exhaust gas direction?Chain oiler adjustments?On a flat surface does the saw tip from side to side?Ken

Hope I can still squeek in . . .

I might like to see a category labeled something like: "Best suited for"

A saw might be a very good limbing saw, or homeowner saw, or firewood saw, etc. Or it might be a very good saw for pro felling, but not the other stuff.

Philbert

Back