Reviews for chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ease of repair I would consider to be the actual disassembly and assembly process to do work on the saw.

In addition to this, I think availability of parts needs to be addressed. ie, dealer only? aftermarket suppliers? Internet sales allowed by manufacturer? any parts no longer available?

"Best suited for" could be part of the "review". This is what it is voted on for what it is. You could have a 4 star out of 5 star rated saw, you just have to rate it as such. I think a few additional items requested would be voted on in Ergonomics (vibration etc). I would agree to add ease of maintenance for (chain tensioner, air filter cleaning etc). I will agree on the parts availability, that is out.

How about a way to rate the reviews? Will poor reviews be removed, as in complaints about a dealer not the saw?

There needs to be a way to separate the Harry Homeowner's, suburban lumberjacks, and loggers/arborists. Something like Tire Rack and mileage, where you can post how many hours you have on the saw and how old it is.

"Best suited for" could be part of the "review".

I was thinking of how some manufacturers' web sites break down saws; based on suitability for certain uses. This one is from Jonsered:

attachment.php

Categories might be:

- Top-handled arborist saw (up to 5 stars)
- Occasional use homeowner saw (up to 5 stars)
- Limbing saw (up to 5 stars)
- Regular use firewood saw (up to 5 stars)
- Heavy use Pro/Felling saw (up to 5 stars)

Specifics could be added in the comments section.

Philbert

Is "balance" really all that relevant? Every user in the west that runs a longer bar isn't going to be concerned with balance per se'.
Probably not

How about a way to rate the reviews? Will poor reviews be removed, as in complaints about a dealer not the saw?

There needs to be a way to separate the Harry Homeowner's, suburban lumberjacks, and loggers/arborists. Something like Tire Rack and mileage, where you can post how many hours you have on the saw and how old it is.
If there is a real bad review, you can report it like any other post. So yes, if they aren't giving it a rating that is proper for the saw itself, then we will boot it.

I was thinking of how some manufacturers' web sites break down saws; based on suitability for certain uses. This one is from Jonsered:

attachment.php

Categories might be:

- Top-handled arborist saw (up to 5 stars)
- Occasional use homeowner saw (up to 5 stars)
- Limbing saw (up to 5 stars)
- Regular use firewood saw (up to 5 stars)
- Heavy use Pro/Felling saw (up to 5 stars)

Specifics could be added in the comments section.

Philbert

I like it but I think that the manufacture's rate their products on where they should be used. There will be a portion of the main review written that should include where it's best use would be.

I can picture some guy buying a 200T thinking that for $700 it would cut all his firewood by itself. Once he actually fires it up and realizes that it's got way more power than he imagined and not the ergonomics needed for cutting firewood, he could "bash it" on the site.

So, maybe there could be a way to rate the owner of the saw and then also the actual saw itself? If a homeowner says a 200T is a piece of junk, well, we would know better than to believe that.

Latest posts

Back