ricing out a 440?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd548esco

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i recently got a locked up 440 , it looks to have been sitting for a few years--

it is mostly intact.

i've been thinking of 'ricing" it out with one of those flea-bay aftermarket/china -crank/piston/jug kits.

now i have plenty of good saws so this is more of just an experiment with the AM parts--

maybe i can find someone on here that could do a short block for me as i'm lacking the tooling for a case split--?

thanks--

Only AM I would waste my time with would be a high end kit from Randy.

i recently got a locked up 440 , it looks to have been sitting for a few years--

it is mostly intact.

i've been thinking of 'ricing" it out with one of those flea-bay aftermarket/china -crank/piston/jug kits.

now i have plenty of good saws so this is more of just an experiment with the AM parts--

maybe i can find someone on here that could do a short block for me as i'm lacking the tooling for a case split--?

thanks--
Nah!

I have a brand new in the box NWP big bore kit from Bailey's that I bought for a 440 a year or two ago and never used. It bumps a 440 up to the displacement (and theoretically power) of a 460 without any modifications - just a bolt on kit.

If your wanting to experiment with AM I'd be happy to sell you this one. PM me if interested.

I have a brand new in the box NWP big bore kit from Bailey's that I bought for a 440 a year or two ago and never used. It bumps a 440 up to the displacement (and theoretically power) of a 460 without any modifications - just a bolt on kit.

If your wanting to experiment with AM I'd be happy to sell you this one. PM me if interested.

That kit in particular is one of the few AM kits I have had success with. I put one on an 044 awhile back and it was a running sob. Head to head against a 576XP AT in 20" hickory and it handily outcut it.I did no port clean up at all, used the gasket and bolted her on. It was a super clean casting and really nice bevels etc. Problem is no two are the same.

i ain't hurting for saws

i have a 044 and another 440 with a OEM 460 jug , a 372XP , a 575 shindaiwa, a 029 super and a brand spanking new 590 timberwolf .

kida looking at a 620P -- might just tune up the 590--

this is more of a 'play pretty" i just want to see if the AM stuff is good or not and maybe cut a little firewood-- a few hundred 6300lb chords in the process--

i think i'll PM NTS about that jug--

and i ain't new , to saws -- grew up logging .

can't recall a USA made stihl ?? --- ain't some of their cheaper "micky mouse-saws" china anyway??

A miner friend of mine found 2 old guns dating back to 1898 near the Dawson gold fields. I'll get some pics.

When I was up there a few years ago retracing some of my relatives travels there was a lot of stuff still being found from the rushers, the trail from Skagway over the White Pass and the one from Dyea over the Chilcoot Pass was littered with tons of cast off supplies. There was still fellows bringing in field , finds every season.

Just thought I would add, I still remember firing my great uncles 1896 in 45-70 and I have a stamped steel frying pan he took to Dawson and brought back home with him.

Back