Right of Way Wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckwheat

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
The local phone company is installing fiber lines in our area and have been clearing trees in order to do so. At one spot there is a vacant home for sale with an adjoining wooded lot where they cut down several large trees (30") and laid them along the road, about six feet in.
A friend who is a local highway worker told me that the wood is considered "right of way" and thus free for the taking. In many instances, he will actually cut the rounds to length and lay them along the road, knowing that someone will come along and take them.
My issue is that I would normally ask permission under all circumstances, but in this case the only name I have is the realtor, who I suspect would find it easier to say no than to fear assuming any liability. I could probably go in and take the wood before anyone even knew what was happening. It might be legal, but would it be right?

Anyone have experience with this?

Hi Buckwheat,

In Kentucky(not sure for you)it is my understanding anything in the right of way or on the curb is considered public domain.

I would think the realtor would want to remove any cut trees,making it easier to sell the property.Most folks would not want to buy property with a bunch of down trees that need to be removed.I understand your reservation.Give the realtor a call,you might be surprized.

Rick

My understanding is that if you set one foot inside the property line and take a tree or branch or whatever and someone like the realtor or property owner wants to make an issue, then you would be considered a trespasser or worse a timber thief. Now, at least here in Tejas, if it is on the ROW and the county or state wants it, then they affix a small sign to the material. I have seen crews lay pipe for the state and put large, attractive boulders along the ROW and given permission to haul them away as landscape boulders or whatever so long as you save them the money and expense of removal.

I have been cursed at when I stopped to ask about removing a seemingly innocent and abandoned looking dead oak tree.

Hi Buckwheat, what these guys are saying about stuff in the ROW is generally true, free for the taking. You can probably find the name of the property owner through a county office such as the "Real Property" office. I`m in the local office looking for landowner names on a regular basis. It`s a cinch if you have the address or nearest intersections and landmarks.

Russ

yep ,i never understood why people wanted an excuse to act like an a--.
but sometimes they do ,and i just learned to let it be their problem. i use to have to attend these board meetings of supers and such. one day i realised theys a sorry a-- at nearly every one. decided to just letum act however they wanted an payum very little attention ,until they learned some manners.

Back