Rim & Drum vs Spur Sprocket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jonny Quest
Spur Sprockets =

Consumer.

Rim Sprockets are usually found on "pro" saws. There is a reason for this.

I like the rim sprocket because it is very easy to change out (and cheaper). Oregon recommends that you change out rim/spur every 2 chains. Its $5 for a new rim compared to $15 for a new spur & drum.

If you do change over, some saws require a new oil pump drive gear. Bailey's has these and they are only a few buck$.

JQ

stihl86

stihl86

Addicted to ArboristSite
Some make it sound that the drums last forever. They wear just like anything else. When they get thin and weak enough, they explode, along with the clutch taking the chainbrake and oil pump.

idahohay

idahohay

ArboristSite Lurker
The only saw I ever owned that had a spur sprocket was an 045 in about 1980. When you throw a chain with one of these, quite a few drivers will often get dinged and wont fit back in the bar unless you file them flat. It was changed out and I never had the problem again.

scotclayshooter

scotclayshooter

Addicted to ArboristSite
Last edited:
kstill361

kstill361

ArboristSite Operative
another small advantage,unlike the spur, when the rim get a little wear it still floats. Wear a grove in your spur, chain no longer floats .

Latest posts